What is your biggest pet peeve?

When you see other parents parenting do you ever get annoyed with things they do or don't do. Do you ever think to yourself "I will never do that with my kids." I have a few friends who are wonderful parents and I would never say anything to them and I don't judge them. I just know the way they are bringing up their kids is not how I want mine brought up. The biggest thing that gets on my nerves is when parents reward bad behavior!! I can't stand it when I see a child acting badly in a store and then they get a toy so they will be good. I also can't stand when parents let their kids talk back to them and boss them! It makes me want to say something to the kid ( I never would) it is just so disrespectful. So what drives you crazy and makes you go " I will never do that"?

Anon344

Asked by Anon344 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Dishonesty, ingorance and disrespect are my top 3!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 6:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• A parent abusing their child, either verbally, physically, or mentally. A parent telling a child lies to shut them up. Neglect. Putting themselves before their children. And etc, etc, etc.

gailpen

Answer by gailpen at 6:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I agree with everything gailpen said as well! I hate to hear parents cussing at their kids!!
    Anon344

Comment by Anon344 (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I agree with all of the above! I also hate it when parents are randomly and arbitrarily strict and then lax on the important things. (most with teens)
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Oh, I can't stand it when another mom tries to compare milestones, height, or weight. It always winds up insulting someone.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I"m great-grandma. I agree that when I hear a woman yelling at a 2 or 3 yr old to shut the f* up, you stupid little f***, or stupid bi**h, I just want to clobber the mother. But, I also have a problem with mothers that take their children to a function then totally ignore them, letting them run and do whatever they want and everyone else in the group tries to control them without invoking moms wrath. And my #1 would be seeing a 3-4-5 year old with a pacifier in their mouth. Lazy, lazy, lazy, ignorant mother. Didn't take the time to work with her child for a couple of days? Mine were off the pacifier at 5 months. Why in the world does a child need one at 5 years old? Spoiled rotten, going to get everything I want handed to me so that I don't have to work for it, and probably control everything that goes on in the house from now on child?' Not in MY house.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 7:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Abuse is an obvious pet peeve. But I also cannot stand women who try to push, and push, and push, breastfeeding on other moms and make us feel bad because we choose formula as if it's poison or something.

Some women need to understand that some women just cannot produce milk because of age, past or recent illness, or just unable to, so please keep the judgments to yourself!
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I know what you mean about the breast feeding! I tried but only was able to do it for 2 months. I stopped producing because of what they think was stress. But i know so many women ask how long I BF and when I say 2 months I get funny looks! It just doesn't work for some people and my daughter is very healthy. She has only been really sick twice. Once with an ear infection at 13 months and she just got ove RSV about a week ago she is 16 months now, but the doctors said she did remarably well for a child with RSV. It only lasted a week and a half and never got in her chest. So her immune system is just fine!
    Anon344

Comment by Anon344 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Biggest pet peeve is when you see a family and the adults are dressed super nice and the little kids are dressed in rags, dirty and have no shoes on. or when you hear a child crying that they are hungry and a parent tells them to shut up.
    ky_phoenix

Answer by ky_phoenix at 12:20 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My biggest pet peeve is when parents allow their children to be picky eaters. Obviously this peeve does not apply to parents of children with sensory processing issues. But it really bugs me when I hear a kid whining about not wanting to eat something and the parent just folds like a paper fan and starts hurling chicken nuggets at the kid for the sake of peace and quiet, or the parent tells me "he won't eat" thus and such. Children usually need about 10 exposures to a new food before they accept it, it's better to keep on exposing children to different foods regularly than to avoid different foods altogether and hope the children "grow into them".
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2011