What is the best way to potty train my son that has ADHD?

my son is 3 and i've been trying to potty train him for a year now. i don't get what i'm doing wrong!! any suggestions?

dansmom87

Asked by dansmom87 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is 3 1/2 and has not been officially diagnosed with ADHD although he has many of the classic symtoms. Potty training has been a long journey for us. I don't really know what the best way of doing it is. Many tecniques that seem to work for "everyone" else did not work for us. I had a hard time making the jump to no diaper/pull up but when he wore them he would just pee in them b/c it was easier than using the potty. My best advise is not to get overly frustrated with accidents and bring extra pants everywhere you go. My son has been out of diapers (durning the day-wears pull up to bed) for about 4 months now. Up until about 2 weeks ago he often had at least one pee accident/day(sometimes many more). He has been doing great for about 2 weeks now and I feel like we finally turned a corner, but I know I would be fooling myself to think he wont have anymore accident so I still plan for them.
    saraheline

Answer by saraheline at 3:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• You have to take the diapers/pull ups away completely. That's the only way. Stay home for 3 days. Take him every 1/2 hour. He'll get it. Don't worry about the night. Just start with the day. Be positive. He will have accidents. Have plenty of underwear ready. You will go through them on the first day. I think with my son the first day we went through 12 pairs of underwear. But by the next day he was getting it. Day 3 he was completely trained.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Well first off what doctor told you your toddler had adhd? That is typically not diagnosed until around 6. Second it is VERY common for boys to not potty train until closer to 3 and a half. Third when he is showing signs of readiness AND interest I agree with mompam except I would have said every hour...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2011