should i sell Mary Kay cosmetics?

i have done a little bit of research and found the pros and cons of it. i have sold avon a few years back and didnt make much money off of it because i never "bugged" anybody to buy. i would just give them a book with my info on it and if they called GREAT if not then that was ok too. I stopped selling after a year. i have been considering selling again but this time with Mary Kay. i think i might do better with MK since i have to do in home facials. should i do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Money & Work

• I had a friend who sold it a few years back and she didn't do it very long. Unless it has changed, you have to have a minimum order every time you order to qualify for the discount. And if you aren't getting that discount, you aren't getting any profit.

If you know for certain that you will have a good customer base who will consistantly order, it's great. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it...

Avon, Pampered Chef, Mary Kay... all of them require a LOT of time and persistance to make any money past the inital start up.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• A lot of businesses have pros and cons you just have to find the one that works best for you. My sister-n-law has been a mary kay executive for 18 years. She has been able to buy a new home, car and many other nice things with her income. Its all in what business is right for you. my opinioin would be no because i would say from experience avon and mary kay you both have to sell something and that might not be your best business deal. like silver tears said most business require a lot of time and persistance on your part to make money. If you treat it like a business it will be a business. Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving

Amanda
    Motivated Mom of 2
    www.motivatedmoms.net/sarahnenzo
    amkatmomof2

Answer by amkatmomof2 at 6:38 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• It's no different than Avon.
    Anonymous

• If you aren't making it with Avon you won't make it with MK... MaryK is more expensive and has required quarterly order so if you aren't selling enough you will have to buy! Stick with Avon!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I have been with Mary Kay Cosmetics for the past 15 years and love it!  We are the highest paid in the direct selling industry. There are no quotas and no territories. Not sure who the above have talked to. And our ordering has changed too. Unlike others we have a 90% buy back guarantee, so it is your safety net. If you have questions, feel free to PM me. I would love to help you in anyway possible. 

AmyMK

Answer by AmyMK at 7:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I already answer this in Beauty and Style section. Just wanted to add that Arbonne also has a 45 day guarentee no questions asked. We also have no minimums or quotas to meet. 90% of my team just signed for the discount and order what they want when they want. Again I have a journal with some great info check it out!
    Good luck with whatever you do!
    KimArbonne

Answer by KimArbonne at 7:59 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Do what you want. I am a Mary Kay person too. I work my business they way Mary Kay designed this business to be worked. AmyMK has given you a few facts about the business, but you have to work this busienss based on what you want now and what you need now. If you are willing to learn from successful consultants and not from I use to sell Mary Kay ex consultants you will do well. Whatever you do, you have to put fort effort to get a return.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 10:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• If you didn't do well with Avon, then you will mostly likely have the same outcome with MK. Think about what you did wrong with your Avon business and try to do something different with MK. If your not doing well with sells (which can be difficult) contact me on my web-site and I will tell you of a great stay at home business that requires no selling and you get some benefits from signing up. Visit my profile and look under journal posts. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My cousin does very well with Marky Kay she even got the pink cadillac and her friend made enough money to do an addition on to her house,pays her car payment and had 40 women under her she does better than my cousin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• marykay is so different than avon. the one big thing that is different is that you get 50% profit right away and i have been doing marykay for 8 months and i dont do alot but i make the 200 min you need every 3 MONTHS. its really easy. trust me you can do that in one person. you should try it out. i have had people that have done avon and they say it sucks there is not even close the same benefits that you get from avon that you get from marykay. i always say "why not" the worst case is you dont do much sales at all no one is going to come after you. you are your own boss.
    dani263

Answer by dani263 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2008