Where do you stand on standardized testing?

I went to college to become a teacher, but changed my mind during observation in elementary schools. I watched as I saw teachers explaining to kids how to take tests rather than teaching them any real subject material. This story by CNN ( http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/20/pennsylvania.school.testing/index.html?iphonefb ) shows parents who are "opting out" of standardized testing in Pennsylvania. I had no idea that was an option. What do you think of standardized testing, and would you opt out your children if given the chance?

BayNoelle

Asked by BayNoelle at 7:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If I had the choice I wouldn't make my kids take those tests. I remember in 3rd grade the teachers were so bent out of shape about those tests it gave me nightmares.

turned out they were upset because the previous year my town had done the poorest in the state, so they didn't get the raise they wanted.
    Anonymous

• I fully plan on opting my child out of standardized testing, I think it is crap
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• i dont see myself opting out of the tests...but i can see us opting out of public education....soooo many issues!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I hate the idea of standardized test. They do nothing but teach a child of what 8-9 years old? to fear test taking. Test taking is really hard for some people and throwing these LONG test at children is just craziness if you ask me. If the kids are doing the work and passing who needs a test? How about we give the teachers a standardized test to asses their teaching skills instead?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• LMAO *assess
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think it's a great assessment tool to make sure the kids are learning, but think my state has gone completely overboard in making passing the standardized testing a graduation requirement. More and more teachers are teaching to the test and that's robbing our children of a quality education.

If I could I would opt-out in a heartbeat.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Without standardized testing OF SOME SORT, an "A" in my class could well be a "C" in another teacher's class.

School districts are too busy fearing the scores of federal standardized testing to implement standardized testing IN THEIR OWN SCHOOLS that will equalize the grades given by teachers of the same subjects.

GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 8:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I don't think they are used correctly. They shouldn't be comparing kids to each other. They should only compare kids to themselves. In college we had what they called "freshmen assessment". During freshmen week we all had to take a standardized test that touched on all the subjects we should be learning in college (a little of everything) and it was 3 or 4 hours long. The tests were then sealed and in our junior year we were supposed to take the same test again and then they compared the results to see if the student had improved. Of course we were told to fudge the freshman one to make it look better but the point was they didn't compare us to other students at all different learning levels...only to ourselves over the course of 2 years. That would show if a student improved or not.
    The idea that all young kid should be at the same exact level is asinine. They should be going by how much improvement each child makes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I am not a fan of them.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• We'll be opting out of standardized testing. I think that all the standardized tests do is encourage teachers to teach the test instead of teaching kids to learn. I remember being in school and having to take those tests. I did miserably in school, in general, but did fabulous on those standardized tests, so I was passed on to the next grade when I probably shouldn't have been. I also agree that kids should not be compared to each other, but should be compared to the progress they have made over a certain period of time. IMO, we're doing our kids a huge disservice by "teaching the test" and evaluating whether they really have a good teacher or not based on how they score on those tests.
    5andlovingit

Answer by 5andlovingit at 10:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011