A friend recently told me that women who breastfeed in public are violating HER rights to not see "a fat housewife showing her ugly, saggy boob to the world."

I laughed at this, it isn't the first time she has said this to me. She has no children nor will she ever have any. I find this type of statement not only cruel but ridiculous and self-centered.

What do you think???

Gilagirl

Asked by Gilagirl at 5:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that is a cruel thing to say babies need to be fed to no matter where they are! I think if people like that cant stand to look at breastfeeding moms then they should just stay at home!!!!!!
    niki304

Answer by niki304 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I agree with you, have you asked her why she looks? As a breast feeding mom I always noticed when someone looked extra hard, some people are soooo weird!
    Really, for the most part the baby is hiding the breast and I always put a baby blanket over my shoulder so no one would see to much, lol
    Anonymous

• I agree totally rude and self centered. I am public breastfeeder, but I hide my saggy boobs in my big sloppy t-shirts. LOL. Whatever to each his own
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 5:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• that is cruel but at the same time understand where some people like that come from cuz there are some breastfeeding mothers out there who dont try to be discreate. yes your baby needs to eat no matter where you are i breasfed my son and plan on doing it again this time but i always make sure im not flashing my boob all over the place. i make sure i have a blanket with me to cover up with.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Breast feeding babies need to be fed just as bottle fed babies need to be fed but I don't agree with whipping it out in public and not at least covering up.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 5:37 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• It reminds me of just about the nicest thing my sister has ever done for me lol! I think I'm the first person in my family EVER to breastfeed and I yes I am/was one of those mom's who would whip one out anywhere. I was covered, it's not like you were getting full frontal or anything. Anyway, we were in a resteraunt, of all places, and I was nursing my son while I ate when some old coot at the next table said I was being obscene and actually suggested I go sit in a bathroom stall to expose myself. My sister turned around and told him that my baby had as much right to eat in public as him and if it bothered him maybe he should take HIS dinner to the bathroom!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 5:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• This is a product of our society....

" It's all about ME ME ME" " to heck with everyone else"
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• WOW. well i know in the los angeles county a couple years back they were trying to pass a law which would make it illegal for mothers to breast feed their children in public which i find like stupid!? hehe. i dont know your friend wow.. i really dont know what to say but.. yeah.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I think I'd be finding a less rude, self-centered friend!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• while i think it is fine to feed your baby in public, no matter how the mother sees fit, i do think that you should cover your breasts while doing so. just because your using your breasts as a way of feeding your child doesn't take away from the fact that they are still boobs. if i can't just get my boobies out for the public to see, a breast feeding mother shouldn't have the right to do so. i breast fed in public all the time but i always put a blanket over myself. just because i was nursing didn't mean i lost my decency or modesty. although, your friends comments are rude, she does have a point. "cover em up"

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 5:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2008