Meditation during labor

So last time I had a very traditional labor. Induced, labored on back, epidural, episiotomy, etc etc..

I really want this time around to be different. I want to go as natural as possible (While still being in a hospital setting). A home birth isn't for me because I like the reassurance that doctors are there if something goes wrong. But I also don't want them to be intrusive and make it worse. I already meditate (though not as often as I should). I'm fairly certain I can maintain focus most of the time. At the end of it I'm not so sure, but by then I'm hoping my body just takes over and nothing else matters!

So anyone used meditation during labor and how did it work out for you? Any tips, tricks or advice?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 7:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You should look into hypnobirthing. My neighbor is doing it and she has regained her confidence after a very similar birth story with her first child.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 7:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I need some advice too I want to see what comments you get I am wanting to go as natural as possible too
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I wasn't able to have a labor since I was required to have a c-section but I was very much looking into hypnobirthing before I knew. I searched for self hypnosis and hypnobirthing techniques on youtube.com and found some that were great! Give it a try. I really think that women can make it through labor if they are prepared correctly. (I also think that if you need drugs it is absolutely okay)
    If you're serious about meditation start now and work on it twice a day until labor! GOOD LUCK!
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 8:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I sure hope I will be able to make it through labor as natural as possible because I know I cannot get an epidural due to a spinal surgery I had years ago. I'm sure if your mind is set, you can do it.
    jessiskinner200

Answer by jessiskinner200 at 8:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I'm trying for a natural one...in a few weeks or so, as soon as baby decides it's time. It's my first, so I'm sure all my preparations will be out the window the first 5 minutes!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 8:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Practice often at home, read Marie Mongan's book, use a birth doula.
    Also consider what it is about the setting you like~ access to technology can be more harm than help, so you'll want to be prepared to know when to consent-decline.
    Intervention-free birthing is not what a hospital specializes in. Using a setting that does, like a freestanding birth center (if not home) will improve your chances for getting the outcomes you prefer.
    Consider classes, a birth plan, a doula, and home studying.
    Best wishes!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Doulala, problem is I'm low income. If I am not in a hospital I'd have to be home without help. So not going that route. I know they will probably want to intervene more than I'm willing to allow. But I'm hoping the hospital will respect my wishes and only bother me if necessary.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You can look into hypnobirthing (though I know it does cost money). Also, try reading Pam England's "Birthing From Within." That may be able to give you some wonderful ideas, like non-focused awareness (which I know I really liked). I plan to try hypnobirthing next time around. Write a short birth plan, and go over it with your provider in advance, explaining your plans, and that you'd like them to wait on any interventions or medications until you ask for them. I hope you have the birth you dream of! Meditation is a powerful thing, and it can be a great birthing tool!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'd still look into a doula. My granddaughter used one for her first, and it wasn't that expensive. She really helped a lot.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• You have private insurance?

Using a doula, reading-preparing from home (library, websites, YouTube), and creating a birth plan-- starting now will be a great way to get ready and you won't have to spend any/much money.

We hope that hospital staff won't intervene, but it is the Norm there. So preparing and being ready for it is valuable.
    ;-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:20 AM on Mar. 22, 2011