Is it really worth it?

You fill in the blanks -

My thought - is it really worth it to work and work and work and never get ahead?

Why not sell everything and move out of this country. Our dollar is devaluing, education is a mess. Patience, the pundits say. There will be a recovery.

Your thoughts? My apologies for my pity party mood, just feeling the weight of the world today.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't mind working, in fact I love it.

As far as getting ahead...ahead of what/who? The Jonses? I could careless.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I don't think I could ever leave this country. My "people" the Native American's and the Europeans were here long long before the "US" was an idea in someone's head. They fought in every war fought..some of them giving their lives...my dh is currently deployed. I suppose as far as I am concerned this is MY country...I will fight for her until I take my last breath.

I think "success" is a relative term and it means something different to each person. Materially speaking I am farther ahead than some and behind others...but that doesn't define success to me...it is much more personal.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• As long as you are willing to enslave yourself and work for someone else, you're going to have days like this. I used to. Now I work for me and mine. That's it. Some days I work like a dog. Many days my most strenuous activity is tossing grain to the critters. I think a big part of it is that I learned to want what I have ... instead of endlessly finding ways to spend money to buy more 'things' and slaving away making someone else's dream come true to earn enough to buy something now and then.

The ONLY thing that would make me pack up and leave the US would be gubmint taking away my right to raise/grow my own food ... and I would fight that to the bitter end. Monsanto and ilk can kiss my American butt lol.

Seriously, it's a mindset, and it's darn scary at first giving up that paycheck. We have a buffer (military retirement). Not much, but we're happy. If you wait for gubmint to fix it you'll get old waiting.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• That was his way of saying quitters never win. :o)

Someone better tell PALIN!

***

Oh, but she IS winning....she's had liberals on their heels ever since she joined McCain's ticket!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• For instance, in France, they have a 35 hour work week, no overtime allowed . .. . a lot more vacation, etc.

And that is why Paulstra moved operations to the US.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

***
    Hmmmm..sounds like my TEACHING job!! No overtime, as I use my allotted prep periods effectively, so I have very little, in any, "homework!" I only work with students 28 hours per week (which excludes prep and lunch periods), I have weekends/long weekends/week long breaks, holidays, and summers off, 10 sick days plus 3 personal days accrued annually--unused days roll over to the next school year, full medical benefits, pension, etc. NOW, if we could just turn PA into a NON union state, that would be awesome!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think it's worth it to be the absolute best you can be, and continue to strive to reach whatever you define as being successful!!

As one of my former swim coaches would bluntly say...."The day you stop moving, is the day you die!" That was his way of saying quitters never win. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Very well said, ysk! 'I don't think I could ever leave this country. My "people" the Native American's and the Europeans were here long long before the "US" was an idea in someone's head. They fought in every war fought..some of them giving their lives...my dh is currently deployed. I suppose as far as I am concerned this is MY country...I will fight for her until I take my last breath."

"I think "success" is a relative term and it means something different to each person. Materially speaking I am farther ahead than some and behind others...but that doesn't define success to me...it is much more personal."

Answer by yourspecialkid 40 minutes ago

OP, I'm sorry that you are feeling overwhelmed, I hope you feel better soon.
    I guess we all have our off days but the good Lord always sees me through... :o)
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Damn it, I hate it when this happens, but I agree with upshe.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No matter how bad you think things in your life are they could be SOO MUCH WORSE!! The nuclear disaster in Japan could be us. Same with the earthquake and Tsunami. We could be living in Libya, or Darfur. If you work and work and never get ahead, your doing something wrong in your budget. You have to make sacrifices financially to get ahead if you dont make enough $$ to just be ahead. A Good life is hard work. It dosnt come easy or automatically.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2011