Is it possible to prepare for a nuclear disaster?

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• While it's POSSIBLE you would survive....would you REALLY want to be among the survivors?! I know I wouldn't want to!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I don't really know. I do know that I live in the middle of a target rich area. NC has so many bases, we're within 4 hours of D.C., a huge percentage of the US population live between Boston and Atlanta. I am smack dab in the middle of the two. Don't drop a nuke near me. Drop it right in my lap. I don't think I have the personal strength to endure what would need to be endured if it just fell 200 miles away.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• japan did.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I don't think so. Unless you can build a hous under ground. But you still need air fron the surface.

Answer by louise2 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I mean survived.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I hope and pray that we never have to find out!

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Absolutely, as long as you don't wait until you see a mushroom cloud or hear a siren go off at the local nuke plant. Even with a world wide nuclear war there would be far more survivors than most think. The fact is that far more would die in the first month or two after such an event due to illness, starvation, injuries, etc. if they weren't prepared.

Being prepared means understanding what a local disaster would entail as well as an attack. It means having a plan for you and yours and not just storing beans and rice. It requires a shelter that anyone can build themselves, food/water storage, etc. Smart people rotate and use that food storage so it's always fresh and ready.

Yes, you can survive nuke disasters/wars ~ and yes, I would want to.

http://www.captaindaves.com/nuclear/ I'd make it clicky but the darn character limit would be exceeded.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• http://www.captaindaves.com/nuclear -- I made it clicky for you.  I hope it works!

tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 8:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Thank you Tina. That site is an excellent one ... every day language and explanations that anyone can understand. Understanding something is the first and best way to deal with it, especially when it's a scary something. Radiation roaming around without a leash is scary for any sane person, but it can be dealt with.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No. it s not. Can you imagine crawling out of your "bomb shelter" at the age of 95 and seeing that nobody is there? The half life for Unranium or whatever the element is lasts forever. You will die of radiation poisoning if you try to live above ground. Prepare? Ha. Why even think about it? Crazy!

You really shouldn't talk about things you obviously know nothing about.  This is a scenario map for one possible situation.  The yellow areas will be fine:

http://www.futurerevealed.com/maps/images2/fallout2.gif

Different scenarios, based on changing targets, shift those yellow areas.  This one is based on likely military targets.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:10 AM on Mar. 22, 2011