How do I get over this fear of rejection/low self esteem that I have?

I have always gone after low paying jobs because I know that I could quickly get them. Most of the jobs that I have had, I didn't even have to interview for them. I just showed up, filled out an application, and I got the job(s). There have been several jobs that I would love to have but didn't apply because I think I wouldn't get them or if I did get them I would get fired the first time I had to ask off for my son's doctor's appointment or if he was sick, etc. I have even gone to college and in my senior year, I panicked, so I quit because I was afraid that I wouldn't get hired after graduation. I am so sick of having this fear of rejection. I want a career. My son is in elementary school now and is not as dependent on me so I think this would be a good time. I am going back to school but I have changed my major because I realized that I didn't really enjoy my other major. I am going to school for a Bachelor's in Business Administration. I would like to get a job that pertains to that but I am afraid that I won't be able to because of my lack of experience and my previous jobs. What can I do? What jobs should I apply for so that I can get my foot in the door and work my way up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• You might go to some local companies and ask if you can do an internship while you are in school. That would give you a boost and some experience. Also talk to some of your professors for ideas to help you. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Awesome for you! A bach in BA is going to serve you well! The thing to keep in mind is: if you dress the part, have confidence, and make a good connection with the interviewer, you will have a very good chance at getting a position, even if you don't qualify on all fronts.

I have friends were were able to land very prestigious positions with a BBA alone, so you have the world in front of you to conquer.

Be sure to keep marketing open as a possibility . . . that can be fun and very rewarding.

Just scrap all of the "lack of experience" stuff because you can succeed wherever you go. Don't cut yourself short.

Moms are sometimes the best employees because they have often run a household inside and out, and they have a wonderful work ethic.

GOOD LUCK!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Make sure you have a core concentration (accounting/marketing/etc.) otherwise employers aren't interested in that degree. I'm not trying to be mean. I have that degree - and only sales jobs want me. The "good jobs" I tried for were highly turned off when I told them I didn't have a specific concentration in anything because that's how my college program was set up.

Get an internship.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Ask you family doctor for a referral to a therapist

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Congratulations on going back to school. Education is great. You need to surround yourself with people you want to be like. Read some self help books to help you understand that you do not need to be afraid of rejection,but you deserve success. It's hard to grasp, but don't take rejection personally...it's not about you. I gained a lot of confidence and self esteme from the training provided by my home business as well as reading books. It is a long process and you have to take baby steps. Let me know if I can help. Good luck...remember...YOU DESERVE IT!!
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 7:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• You have to just put all that aside and do it dear,I know its tough but you can do it.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 11:45 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Hi again,

I just started reading What Happy Women Know  by Dan Baker and I thought about you.  I am finding it very helpful and I'm not done with it yet.  You might take a look at it.  Your local library probably has it.  I wish you all the best.  Take care.

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2011