Can teaching your kids 2 languages at the same time be confusing before they speak?

I have 2 kids 1 is 6 and she is 100% bilingual but my 2.5 year old is not saying much. I am concerned as my first child was not even 1 when she started to speak???

MexTexmom2

Asked by MexTexmom2 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, in fact, while bilingual children may start speaking later than other's, when they do, they take off like a rocket! Kudo's to you! Also, don't discount the difference between boys and girls. Boys typically start speaking later than girls do. Don't worry!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It can at first. I wouldn't worry about it right now. Your child is probably taking it all in and when she does finally "catch on", I am sure she will be fine.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• some younger sibblings dont talk much when theyre young. my mom always tells me I could talk, but i didn't really talk much until I was around 3.
    if youre worried about your child talking, talk to their doctor and they can help you figure out if they just don't "want" to talk yet or if something is up with their hearing or speech.
    i agree with the others above, teaching a child two languages probably isn't confusing enough to lead your child not to speak,
    I say keep up teaching them two languages,
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 8:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I would suggest trying to sign things to your child when you say things. This might help the brain make the connections between language and using it to communicate? I did this with my son because he wasn't talking at two years old either .... as soon as we started signing things like milk, more, please, thank you.... he started to talk! He doesn't sign anymore but I'd like him to keep learning.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 8:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• no, it's good for them. and my kids are late talkers, but my 7 year old LOVES reading and has an extensive vocabulary and grasp of language.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I know several children who are bi-lingual and have no problems so I do not think it is confusing. In fact I have heard quite the contrary. It is so much easier to learn them at once a very young age. Talk to your ped. She may need a little bit of help getting started.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• if the child has a speech delay it might be confusing for the child.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• They all learn at their own pace...I wouldn't be worried.
    tiff4q

Answer by tiff4q at 8:09 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Bilingual children will, most of the time, speak later, but teaching them a second (or third) language since birth is actually a VERY good thing. They've mapped the brain of children who are bi- and multilingual and the language centers are layered like a sandwich. Children that speak just one language at home don't have that layering in the language centers.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You guys are great and have made me feel much better. I am trying to teach them both to speak English with an American Accent ( don't know if Texas is considered a language of its own) but we live in Mexico and I am afraid that if I don't continue to speak to them in English then they will lose that part of them. People here look at us weird ( Were Mexican American) but I try to ignore them and accept that I am doing it for the Kids and not to be rude.
    MexTexmom2

Comment by MexTexmom2 (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2011