How can I get my mother in law from giving me stupid gift this year for Christmas?

every year i end up throwing her crap away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Holidays

• By telling her EXACTLY what you want. Mine called today and double check what kind of scents I like from bath and b ody works. I make a really really detailed list for christmas and give it to her in Oct.

Answer by gemgem at 5:43 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I know this is a hard situation. I had a grandmother who only got me the dumbest crap.
    What I think you need to keep in mind is, she is you MIL. I would just take the gift with a smile and then throw it away. I think the only way to get out of this is if you MIL asks you what you want for Christmas. Give her very specific things. And don't sugar coat it!
    tommysmommy05

Answer by tommysmommy05 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Why don't you tell her that you are unapreciative of all her energy and time that she spends choosing your gift, wrapping it and giving it to you, so she might as well save herself the time, energy and money. Then she can spend it on someone a little more grateful.
    Anonymous

• Wow, I am surprised at some of the things people say. Have y'all gotten so spoiled that you don't remember how to be grateful?
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:57 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• This is one reason why christmas is wrong
    Anonymous

• Gifts are just that..gifts. I was raised to believe that gifts are not expectations, and that we should be gracious when accepting them. I agree with jespeach...our society has become very spoiled and ungrateful.

Be thankful you receive presents at all. There are so many people who will receive nothing this year.
    happymom612

Answer by happymom612 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I have to agree that it sounds really selfish and ungrateful to say that. That said, it is a shame when people spend good money on things you wont actually use. I have had my fair share of ugly sweaters that I know cost good money and didn't want them to just sit in my closet or the goodwill.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Heres what you should do: be grateful for whatever she gets you. If you dont like it, regift it or donate it to charity(where someone deserving and grateful will recieve it). Also, stop thinking like a spoiled brat. Last year my mom got me a nice make up kit(I dont wear makeup). I still appreciated the thought and thanked her for it. I still have it and will give it to someone who needs it in the future(maybe a cosmotology student).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Accept that she buys these things because when she sees them she just may be thinking that it is something that you would like. As already stated, if you don't like it, give it to the Salvation Army or something like that. Some day your MIL will be gone and you will miss all these little things.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:06 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• if you don't like it, re-gift it. by making demands, you take away her pleasure in selecting something special for you. that is rude.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 10:24 AM on Nov. 26, 2008