Mom's are always asking me what to do with their kids in the afternoon. They feel that their most difficult time is 4:00-6:00. Do you have a hardest time in your day? Any suggestions?

Ideas needed for toddlers to Kindergarten age. Mom's often busy with dinner, etc so they can't just sit and play for two hours!

AlisonAstair

Asked by AlisonAstair at 8:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son started helping me cook from the time he was two years old. Now, he couldn't help with everything so I would have an activity for him to do during those times. It's a great bonding experience.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• well, we eat dinner at 4, then bath at 6, so that part of the day is taken care of for me lol. my son gets home from kindergarten at 2:30 and then he does homework at 3 (he gets some playtime and a snack between then), and then they usually just play while i'm fixing dinner (after homework). when it was just him and i didn't have any other kids to keep him occupied, i usually just included him in with what i was doing. he would help me fix dinner or pick up the house, or we would put on a cd and dance/sing. that's something you can do with them while you're doing chores/cooking if you don't want them to help.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• isn't that the time they do homework? while mom prepares dinner... and maybe has one of them help if they don't have homework? ....
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 8:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My kids get home from school at 4 so it's crazy helping them with homework while cooking dinner. My 4yo (who isn't in school) is expected to entertain herself and watch her baby brother (8mo) so he stays out of the way if he's up. When the baby is older he'll be expected to stay out of the way, too. Kids are perfectly capable of entertaining themselves for 2 hours while mom does her thing.
    My most difficult time is 7-8pm...trying to get them all calmed down, do their reading, get pajamas on and ready for bed at 8pm. With 5 kids it gets crazy. The rest of the day isn't so bad since I don't entertain my kids. They do that themselves while I do other things.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think it can be hard anytime of the day their kids they throw fits whenever they want to. My dd will sometimes watch me cook or just throw a fit bc she's smells it and it's not done nothing I can really do about it. Sometimes you have to let them throw fits it's not hurting them any.
    lil_shannie

Answer by lil_shannie at 8:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I take them to the gym when thay are on my last nerve. I get to work out and they get to play.
    jonellg

Answer by jonellg at 12:17 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I know not everyone has this option but our dogs take care of him while I'm making dinner :) I throw on some cartoon and watch them play from the kitchen, in between I'll join in and play for a bit =]
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2011