Just thought of something about the careat law (not sure where to put this)

ok so they passed the new carseat law. Were they have to be rearfacing until 2 years and in a booster until 4'9 which they said some kidsa ren't 4'9 until between 8-12 years. Well the thing is if they have to be in booster seats and they have to be buckled and everything why don't they make it a law on a school bus to be in a carseat or to have seat belts?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 8:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• We discussed this one time at my childs school. the reason is it is more of a safety issue to have seat belts than to not. Getting every child unbuckled in the event of a major wreck before the bus was engulfed in flames would be a night mare and cause more fatalities.
    Anonymous

• ok then if it isn't a law then how old can you have them out of a booster without getting pulled over and getting a ticket?

Carseat laws are STATE laws. In TX, they have to be 8 y/o OR 4'9" to be out of the booster.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:34 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• good question
    the big buses don't have them,but the little ones do,seatbelts and carseats

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• i hate buses. i totally agree. buses have seatbelts but noone enforces that.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yeah, for some reason travel coaches and school buses don't require their passengers to "buckle up."

I heard the law (in my state at least) was that the child had to be at least 70 pounds to be able to sit without a booster. 70 pounds! I've known kids in HIGH SCHOOL who were 70 pounds!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 8:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• they have to be rearfacing until 2 years....

This part bothers me. Most 2 yo's are tall enough that this is going to be very uncomfortable. How do you deal with a 2 yo with his/her feet up in the air, not liking the position. Maybe the people who think this is a great idea, should have to sit with their feet in the air againt the back of a seat. I bet the law wouldn't last long. 

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• These recommendations should never go by age in the first place. My son has been tall for his age most of his life. When he was 3 he was as tall as the 5 year olds at his pre-school. State law here required we keep him in a booster until his 8th birthday. He outgrew it over year ago, but he had to cram in anyway. Meanwhile, there are girls in his class who are barely as tall as the kindergarteners - but they're the same age as DS. They should be in one much longer than 8, and the law here does nothing for them. Those recommendations should be based on height and/or weight, not a meaningless date.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I agree, NP. Gotta love those *magic* ages. Poof, I'm 4! It's safe to switch me to booster, now, Mom!

In my state, if you have a convertible carseat, you're supposed to wait until they're 4 and 40 lbs to go from 5 point-harness to booster (with the seatbelt). I have a very tall 3 year old who weighs 38 lbs. Throughout this past winter, everytime we got in the car I'd have to strip the poor kid of her coat and/or sweatshirts just to get the harness to buckle. One day, she started crying saying that it was squeezing her and that she couldn't breathe. I could only imagine! I took serious elbow grease just to get it to snap! Know what I did? I removed the harness and she's now very happily, comfortably, and safely buckled up in her convertible booster, 4 or not.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I know my daughter will be 6 next month and she is in kindergarden and her bus doesn't have boosterseats. They don't even have seatbelts. Maybe cause then they would have all those kids to buckle up that don't know how I don't know, but they should inforce the law on that then too.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• yep I know. Here they just passed 4'9 and I have a friend that said she was still 4'9 in high school and even now she is only 5'1 and she is like 30 years old
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2011