How early can an infant teeth?

My daughter is 3 weeks old and should be sleeping for hours during the day and night. She has been, and she's even been sleeping for four and a half hours at a time sometimes. But today, she hasn't sleep for more than 15 minutes at a time in the past 9 hours. She is very uncomfortable and cries without her pacifier. Normally, she won't even take the pacifier but today she doesn't want to be without it. It seems way too early to consider teething as a possible culprit, but is it? I know in rare cases, some infants are born with teeth. Should I start looking at remedies for teething or is this a foolish idea?

htroy2010

Asked by htroy2010 at 8:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not too early. I had a friend who says she was born with some teeth showing!....BUT if she still looks uncomfortable maybe you should see your family doctor just to rule out any other causes.
    notjustmom213

Answer by notjustmom213 at 8:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• look for whiteness in her gums
    anything is possible I guess
    could be colic too

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Before looking for teething remedies, get her checked to rule out ear ache or other problem. ((hugs))

Answer by Bmat at 8:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My first thought was colic, or maybe sick.

My son cut his first teeth at 4 months old, and yes some babies are born with teeth. I can't really tell you what normal is though. my son cut teeth early, and my daughter cut teeth late; her first was at 11 months old.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My daughter was born with a tooth already breaking through. My oldest son had two teeth by the end of his 3rd month. Tooth growth is factored by the readiness (mostly size) of the jaw, not by the age of the person. So if her jaw is ready, she's gonna get teeth.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It is a possibility but I'd think gas or colic would be a more likely culprit. We used gripe water when my kids got gassy and it helped so much. Within 20 minutes of giving it to them they'd settle right down.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It has been known that some babies are born with teeth. So it isn't to early for her to start teething.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 9:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2011