Do you believe that there are still slaves in this world?

I am asking this question because I think there are a lot of naive women in this world who believe that most of the news is sensationalized. I disagree. I believe we are not seeing the worst of what is happening due to our country hiding information or trying to distract us with not so important news. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think there are actual document cases of people buying slaves from other countries to this date. They get busted all the time.
    Anonymous

• I KNOW their are still slaves in this world and it is scary and horrible.
    Anonymous

• YES!!!!!! Corporate America contributes to this as well. Taking advantage of the outsourcing and the slave driving of people in China and Japan. Outsourced companies employees are total slaves!!!!! I don't see anyone here working 16 hours+ daily for only $1 a day slaving in front of sewing machines, etc. Wal-Mart for one!
    Anonymous

• Sorry I dont see outsourcing and paying people what they consider a good days rate as slavery when they can choose to be there and when they can choose to quit.
    Anonymous

• YES there are its is called human trafficing .. they sell young children and other peopel for maids and sex slaves and bull like that and it 95 % of the time is peopel from other countries so peopel that think its iss not happening are very blind
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• 5:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 by: Anonymous ..Sorry I dont see outsourcing and paying people what they consider a good days rate as slavery when they can choose to be there and when they can choose to quit.
    and how do u sugest they make some money to support their families if that is the only thing available to them?
    Anonymous

• Yes, there are still slaves today in other countries.
    TwocutiesMumma

Answer by TwocutiesMumma at 6:17 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Yes, slavery still exists in this world. There are a number of organizations that exist to abolish slavery on our planet. Just do a Google search on "modern slavery" and you will be astounded with what comes up. Our government has an "Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons." This IS in the news. I've read about it in papers and magazines and heard about it on NPR. But, most people are most concerned with what affects their day-to-day lives, and the plight of other people doesn't matter when you are trying to get dinner on the table. =(
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• yes slavery still exists in the form of sex slaves that are sold into prostitution, maids, the kids that are forced to work in sweat shops.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I agree with both.
    The news is sensationalized. Good ratings sell ad space - which is the whole point of anything on TV (except cspan). So the news plays up anything that will get good ratings: horrible murders, cute missing kids, real tragic sob stories.
    Does our news ignore international news (which is where most slavery exists)? Yes. Does our news ignore such issues when they happen here? Yes - unless it can be sensationalized for better ratings.  Time and again the American public has shown that they don't want to know about such things and they turn the channel, which advertisers don't like, so advertisers don't buy ad space, so news programs don't talk about these issues.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2008