How long does it take pink eye to clear up?

My 5 year old did not return to school from Spring Break today. She has viral conjunctivitis (pink eye) accompanied by a fever. I have been doing the eye drops and monitoring the fever for about 24 hours now, and I think she will be missing another day of school because it is not clearing up. Has anybody else seen this before? How long before the eye clears up and fever goes away? How many days of school are we going to miss? I have never experienced this before, and I'm not panicking, but I'd really like to know what to expect.

pawlady

Asked by pawlady at 9:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son had that a week or so ago , they told me he was not contagious anymore after 24 hours of the meds and the stuff they gave him cleared it up in about 5 days.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 9:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yep... not contagious after 24 hour, but he has to be fever free for 24 hours too. The fever is not caused by the pink eye, it is a separate issue all together.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• If it is viral the drops won't work and it may linger for a few weeks. If it bacterial then the eye drops will work and he can go back when he no longer has any symptoms. They are contagious for as long as the symptoms persist.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• all of my kids had it. i had to be really vigilant about disinfecting everything with lysol and making sure they don't rub their eyes. they kept giving it to each other and re-infecting themselves. it was really crazy. make sure you wash their bedding daily and watch them like a hawk to make sure they're not putting their hands on their face. also make sure you haven't contaminated the medicine bottle. after i started being very strict it cleared up within 2 days.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• yes, i wanted to mention that my kids didn't have a fever either
    princessbeth79

• Pink eye typically clears up in 5-7 days. If it persists return to your Dr. In our district they have to been on medication for 48 hrs and fever free for 24 before they can return to school. Be sure to be washing hands well. Do not share towels of any kind. Pink eye is terribly contagious.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think usually 2-4 days before meds really work well, but up to a week for it to really be cleared up.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• my kids cleared up 3-7 days without medication.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• 24 hours after drops are started. ALWAYS get meds because untreated pink eye can cause other issues with the eye. If they are NOT on meds they can NOT go to school until the infection is gone. Otherwise, they can go back to school after 24 hours of being on meds. If she has a fever, then she can't go back until 24 hours after the fever is gone WITHOUT meds.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Hopefully only a few days. My kids haven't had any *yet*
    chiquis

Answer by chiquis at 2:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2011