Can a parent revoke their 17 year old's license in NYS?

I am now 18 and I dont know if I technically have a license or not. My parents told me that they "revoked" my license last summer because I moved out and they were mad at me for it. I was 17 at the time, and I know they can take away like my physical license card, but can they actually revoke it? I dont know if I still technically have my license but i just cant tangibly hold it. I know I would have to apply for a new one, but if my parents revoked it that means I have to pay to retake all of the tests and if anyone knows this answer for me, that would be great because I have to put my car on the road and I need to know if I just need a new plastic card version of my license for if I literally need to retake and pay for all of the tests.

lizjones

Asked by lizjones at 9:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• haha no they can't. Only the police and DMV can do that.
    LoveMyPoliceMan

Answer by LoveMyPoliceMan at 9:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• no, just go to the dmv and say you lost it and need a new one. you will just have to pay for the replacement, not take all the tests over again, etc.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• They were jacking with you and trying to control you. You still have it, you just need to go to the BMV and get your photo taken and get a new license issued. All you will have to pay is the cost of the fee to replace a lost license.
    Anonymous

• look online at thedmv and see if u are there
    lovelife1127

Answer by lovelife1127 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 25, 2011