Potty Training troubles

My son is 3 and a half and is still not potty trained he wants to follow everyone to the bathroom and will say he has to pee and wants to wear underwear but when he has an accident and you tell him he was supposed to use the potty he will lok at you and say I"m not doing that. Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At three and a half I would say he knows what to do and its just a discipline issue. Find a punishment you are comfortable with and use it when he poops himself.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 10:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• its not just a poop issue he WILL NOT use the potty at all pee or poop
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It sounds like he is mentally on game but just not getting the job done. The hardest part is the wanting to do it. I suggest you get a timer and bring him to the potty every 1/2 hour-45 minutes and award success with stickers. Probably best to start where you have minimal need to leave home. Remind him its ok to have accidents but he needs to try. Let him where the big kid underwear to try it and show him how much better it feels and tell him he can wear them til next time he has an accident. Don't punish but when he poops in his pants be overly dramatic about how stinky it is and yucky and how you really wish he would try to do it in the potty because he will feel so much better. For along time my son wouldn't sit on the potty but loved the idea of target practice with a cheerio or a biodegradable foam piece, this became a game which spurred his interest to move forward.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011