Has anyone ever forgotten/ temporarily lost their LO?

I was just curious, I hear horror stories all the time. My brother and I were forgotten at daycare when we were 3 and 2. My dad was suppose to pick us up. He got home and my mom was in the shower, so he sat down and watched tv. Apparently she was out of the shower for about a half hour before she realized the house was too quiet (my dad should've been home by then) so she came down to call him and found him asleep on the couch. When she woke him up to ask where me and my brother were he replied "it's your day to get the kids." It was not LOL... Luckily we were safe at daycare and I think he ended up getting there right before closing if not close after.
Then when baby #3 arrived, my second brother, he managed to escape the house while both my parents were upstairs getting ready. I was 5 at the time, my dad came down and asked where david was, and without looking away from the tv I replied "he went for a walk." He was 13 months at this time. They found him down the street playing in a puddle on the sidewalk. I had wonderful parents, we're all grown adults now who lived relatively happy, healthy and safe childhoods. But with 3 kids in 4 years mistakes were made. Luckily no harm done. So I was just wondering other peoples stories. No bashing please, and feel free to go anon if you think you're gonna get attacked.

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I havent YET...but I only have one..
    When my little sister was new born, my parents left her at home once...they were just used to getting me and my older sister in the car and left my baby sister in her carseat in the living room floor..got all the way down the street before they realized it..
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• OOPS lol... I've head that happening before from stories of my friends parents. Usually the baby makes it into the car seat but never the car lol.
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My son (4 at that time) got mad because I was tired and didn't want to go to Walmart.  Hub and I decided we'd go the next morning when he was off work.  We all lay down to go to sleep.  I ended up falling asleep first and my son got up, got dressed, and headed to Walmart.  Luckily a jogger who had seen us outside playing a lot recognized him and stopped him.  He had still made it to Walmart though.  Crossed an extremely busy street.  No shoes on.  Someone had also luckily already called the police so the police stopped the jogger on his way to bring our kid home.  CPS had to come investigate of course, had to take a breathalyzer and drug screen, no biggie there.  And they taught us some awesome tips to make sure nothing like that ever happened again.  Very grateful.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I briefly "lost" my son for a few seconds. He was 2 and we were on a playground playing. He was about to come down a closed slide so I waited at the bottom for him. When he didn't come down, I called his name and he didn't answer. In the 30 seconds that had lapsed, he decided to go to the other slide on the other side of the playground. This slide was bigger and he was about to fall off as I ran to get him. Luckily, another mom was able to get him. That scared the crap out of me.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I had a time I was taking a nap ( I work nights) and I couldn't find my son. Luckily he was just hiding in his room but it still scared the crap out of me
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I can remember way back when my, now 24 y/o daughter, was around 3 we were shopping in Montgomery Wards. I turned around and she was gone. They had to lock down the mall. She was found hiding in a rack of clothes. I almost had a nervous breakdown until she was found.
    rojastarr

Answer by rojastarr at 10:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• no, but i had alot of nightmares about that after i had my first kids. now i don't think i could forget them if i tried...................
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

Oh yeah my DS has done this to me once or twice when he was younger. Once he was crawling but not walking yet, maybe 7 or so months... I was doing the dishes and he was playing in his ball pit in his room. At some point I noticed it was awfully quiet so I went to go check on him and couldn't find him anywhere. I knew he had to be in the house since he was only crawling and couldn't reach any door handle, but it seriously took me 20 minutes to find him. He was sound asleep underneath his crib. Even though I knew he was in the house that too scared the crap out of me, I was in panic mode.
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

Then, not cool. But now that she's grown do you tease her about putting a mall on lockdown? That's a pretty talented game of hide and seek
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 10:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• We haven't forgotten them, but we did lose our 4 year old at a crowded beach last summer. That was scary! I actually didn't even realize he was lost, but we were leaving and taking all the stuff up to the car, I put our other 2 kids in and then waited for my husband and son to bring a few more things. And I waited, and waited and waited. About 45 minutes later they finally showed up, my poor husband, he was shaking, he started crying, he was all worn out from running around a hot beach for 45 minutes. When he finally found our son he saw him walking away from the beach past the bathrooms into the parking lot, but far away from our car.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2011