I'm starting to freak out..

One of my best friends had her baby today. Her first, and I'm pregnant with my first as well, six months.. After walking into the hospital, I started getting severe anxiety, and it's lasted all day. How the hell am I supposed to do this?? If I freak out too much, will they knock me out and give me a C-Section or something? Can they give me something to relax/chill the f out? I've been so excited until today...please help..

Squirellybur

Asked by Squirellybur at 10:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• By the time the day actually comes you will be so excited for it to be over most of that anxiety will not even enter your mind. Just stay calm! After all, you will get to see your little one so its all worth it!!
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I don't know if this is going to make you feel better or worse, but anxiety or not, it is going to happen the way it happened to every mother for centuries.

I'm sure that might sound cold, and I don't mean it to, but it HELPED me to know that in all likelihood I would survive it like the others and go home with a new baby like everyone else. Knowing that it happened to other people every day and they did it and most of us are "dumb enough to do it again", helped me think that it was possible I was overreacting.

Also, don't let people tell you their horror stories.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• The best thing to do is to talk to your doctor about how you are feeling.

Good luck!
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• The pre-anxiety was soooo much worse than the actual anxiety during labor, for me. You will have lots and lots of support, and you can talk to your labor nurse and doc about how you are feeling.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Working on preparing will help.
    Having the understanding of the process, how to make it better, and getting support-help to go through it will really help.

Are you reading, taking classes, using a doula?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It's hard not to be anxious. Labor is one really intense day and that's it. Once you see your baby it's fine and you forget about the fear and pain of labor.

Also, walk around targets and baby's r us baby aisles. Looking at all the adorable items might bring back some of your excitement.

Congratulations!!! You're going to be a wonderful mother!!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Right, too many people just try to scare you, and I won't lie and say it doesn't hurt, but we all live through it and lots of us do it over and over. (I had 3). Try talking to your doc, if it's not too late, take a birthing class. And think about what you'll have when it's over!
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:28 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My hubby and I took a birthing course. Can you check your local area for one?
    Peggs11

Answer by Peggs11 at 12:24 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Educate yourself to help with your anxiety. I recently assisted in a birth where the mom has anxiety, and she actually needed to take anti-anxiety meds early in labor. It is definitely best to find other ways to manage it, but if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes. Surround yourself with as much support as your feel comfortable with, and figure out how you plan to manage your pain when you are in labor. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I've had six kids, the third and sixth were c-sec. They are SO worth it. I "thumbs up"'ed the reply above by mom-2-3-girlz. You can do it. You are Woman! You are designed to do it. :D Relax and enjoy the ride.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2011