Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a neighbor blocked in a disabled person with valid disabled placard. advise?

The neighbor claimed the handicapped spot is HIS. We took photos. File report with police? Even after the fact just to get the violation on record?


Asked by disabled at 10:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Level 2 (11 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • talk to the manager and if he sides w/ his friend demand to see exactly word for word where in the lease it says the spot is his. if they refuse talk to the cops...especially if this guy keeps blocking ppl in cause either way thats illegal.

    Answer by okmanders at 11:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

  • I don't think I understand this question. "The neighbor blocked in a disabled person." Are they both disabled? That's how it sounds when you go on to say "with a valid disabled placard". Are we talking about a residence? Are the parking spots assigned?

    Find the person who blocked in the disabled guy (if the guy is blocked and cannot move his car) and ask them to move their vehicle. If they refuse, call the cops. You cannot block a person's car with your car so they cannot get out.

    Answer by Renee3K at 11:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

  • I would call the non-emergency police line and request that someone come over.

    Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

  • Call the police.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

  • Oh, and the police will be more than happy to tow the vehicle.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

  • Holy cow, what is wrong with people?

    Answer by minnesotanice at 11:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

  • Yes they are BOTH disabled and the tenant that did the blocking in claimed it's HIS personal DISABLED spot in his lease agreement with the manager of the apartment complex. The manager will side with the tenant at fault since they are friends. That's why we want to involve outside authority.

    Comment by disabled (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

  • The police will unlikely to respond or if they do, it will take them awhile. I would write on a big piece of poster board saying "This spot is reserved for the physically not the mentally handicap" LOL Sometimes its enough to call attention to the offender then anything else. Thats what I did when I lived ina apartment setting. Ther guy never parked there again.

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011