Frustrating toddler

My dd seems to like drinking whatever I giver her,. then she lets the stuff drip out of mouth onto her tray, or in her food, or on her shirt.. Is there anything I can do to stop her, or just live with it?? I tried to just ignore her thinking if she didn't a reaction from me, no luck there, it actually got worse. help???

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like pretty normal toddler stuff to me. Just keep telling her it is "not nice" or its "yucky". It is a phase it will pass. Get the bibs back out and tell her "if she is going to eat like a baby she will have to wear a bib like a baby." My daughtr is 16 months and loves to throw her food on the floor when she is finished eating. I have taught her to say "done" when she is finished but now she say "done" as she throws the food on the floor. Thank Goodness I have dogs who love to clean the floor for me at every meal! GL! hang in there I know how frustrating having a toddler can be at times : )
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Shes just trying to figure everything out. My twins do that. theyre 18 months. It's so frustrating. I dont think theres anything we can do. I wouldn't buy into it and give her attention for it. I'm sure they'll all grow out of it.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yeah, my little girl (14 mo.s) did/does the same thing. We're working on it. Whenever she does it, I take the cup immediately & do not give it back for atleast 10 min. (5 if she's really thirsty & just doesn't like what I gave her). When/if she drinks it all, we both go "ahhhh..." signaling the thirst was quenched, & that it's all gone. It also makes her smile... ;-)
    LUVmyBOYZ615

Answer by LUVmyBOYZ615 at 11:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My son does the same thing sometimes. Its so annoying I know! He especially likes to do it when I've put him in a new outfit! Haha I think they just are figuring things out like another poster said. I do take his cup away when he does that though. So maybe try that?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My 14 month old does that sometimes. He either lets milk drool out of his mouth or starts spitting out foodl I make a sad face, say no no, and tell him that's not nice. When he is done eating he flings his food around. When he does that I take everything off his tray except for 2-3 bites. Sometimes he'll start eating again after that.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 12:52 AM on Mar. 22, 2011