What did your 3 month old weigh if you breast fed?

I think mine is over weight for a breast fed baby and am curious if any other moms that breast feed dealt with an over weight baby

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 11:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• BF babies thin out quicker once they are on the move, they simply can not be overweight, or overfed like FF babies. No worries. By 3-4 months mine were in the upper teens, bridging twenty... they're all trim and lean muscle now though.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• 16 pounds i think..My pediatrician says a breastfed baby can never be overweight! :}
    Mami9674

Answer by Mami9674 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I breastfeed once a day and usually pump expressed breast milk. When my son was 3 months he weights a little more than 16 lbs 25 inches he's about to turn 4 months so he might be a little heavier. He started with 7lb and 6oz and 21 inches. He's 95 percentile now, some baby grow fast at the beginning and some grow later so feed her if she wants to eat. You can't over feed a breastfeeding baby, in fact breastfeeding baby will have less chance of being obesity later on in life. How much does she weight/height?
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My first wound up FF after about 3 months of misinformation, and lack of support... I still regret that decision and now know that it could have been prevented. Live and learn. My dd was almost 8 1/2 lbs, and 19 in at birth. She gained slower than the others and had HORRIBLE refulx which required a prescription to keep under control (another factor in BF failure, she was DEEP suctioned at birth for no apparent reason and it caused a lot of damage).
    The other 2 were 7lbs, 2o in, and 7lbs 7 oz 21 in... by 10 months my youngest weighed in an 29 lbs... His fat rolls had fat rolls, which had fat rolls of their own. Now, at almost four he is lean trim and muscular- but still BIG built like a brick shit house. Meanwhile, my middle child who weighed in at 19 lbs when he was 4 months old is a bean pole.

BF babies tend to gain quick, and then thin out fast when they are mobile. FF babies tend to gain slow, and keep the weight on.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:42 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• lol thanx obbie and mami.. my dd is 3 months and in her upper teens. my first ways way different. she was formula fed by then and weighed less lol, so was a little worried about her weight.
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I agree, breastfed babies can't be overweight. My boys were around 13 lbs. 1 started off at 7 1/2 lbs and the other at 9 lbs but by 6 weeks they had evened out and both weighed the same, which makes me think genetics must have played a big roll in how much they gained. At 3 months my daughter weighed 11 1/2 lbs.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• she's 3.5 months, and about 17-18lbs, 24.5 inches although i'm estimating because my three year old lost my measuring tape earlier this week lol. .. she was 7lbs 2 ounces at birth 19 inches. in the first week alone she went up to 9lbs 14 ounces and grew to 20 inches.
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• You're doing fine, hazel. Only thing you're doing wrong is going anywhere near a scale.**grin** Scales are liars and tell you nothing about how baby is doing, really.

The gain will slow. Don't panic when it does.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:42 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Mine were all 11 lbs and change at three months, except for my 5th who was only 10 lbs at 3 months.

Answer by missanc at 1:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• lol obby, i had the same issue with miss information and lack of support at work with my first so went to ff as well. no reflux though, i'm sorry about you having to go through that. shes 3 years old now (my first).. and 35lbs give or take a pound or two. 37 inches.

but bf babies and ff babies i know grow differently
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2011