Pacifer 1st. fingers 2nd =(

myy daughter is almost 4months old & she was taking a pacifier& the baby sitter kept losing them which means she stopped giving her a pacifer pretty much. my baby stopped taking them but, now she sucks on her fingers!!!? i am so upset about it& im hopeing somebody can tell me theres a way to break it. i dont want a thumb sucker!!!!!!!

jennifer_oakley

Asked by jennifer_oakley at 11:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do not try to break it. She is self comforting. She will stop when she is ready. Trying to prevent it will cause more harm than anything. As she gets older(3+) you can tell her if she want to suck on her fingers she needs to go to her room. That alone will limit her sucking time. My grandson still occaisional sucks his wrist when he goes to bed and he's 6. It is NORMAL behavior.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My daughter does this too. She is 16 months and has sucked her thumb since she was 6 months old. She gave up the pacifier on her own at 4 or 5 months and then started sucking her thumb soon after. At first I was upset aboout it and tried to get her to stop by pulling it out of her mouth . But it made her really frustrated. Plus she really only does it when she is sleepy or sleeping so its hard to tell her to stop cuz I sleeping too. My husband and I have decided to let her do it until she is old enough to reason with that it is not ok. Is helps her self soothe and she goes to sleep better and sleep longer when she does it. I know they say it is bad for their teeth but their baby teeth are going to fall out. Once her adult teeth start to come in then worry about it. There are so many bigger things to be worried about. I hope this helps : )
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Our Dentist has assured us thumb sucking and finger sucking doesn't even begin to present a problem until adult teeth begin to emerge.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• thumb sucking or paci's help reduce sids, so let your baby keep at it for the first year before trying to break the habit
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I agree with previous posters it's completely normal and honestly a good thing, she's learning how to self sooth. Very important. It's not necessary to discourage for oral reasons until adult teeth start coming in, typically around age 5 or 6. However, most parents don't want their 3 or 4 year old walking around with fingers in their mouth all the time, so at this age you would set boundaries. As one poster stated, you can suck your thumb only in your room. Or when I was little my personal rule was when my pajamas were on thumb/finger sucking was ok. But if I was in "pretty clothes" as I called them I wasn't allowed fingers in my mouth. But set your boundaries when the time comes for you and your family, for now let her be little and self sooth.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My niece sucked her thumb when she was baby, but now she is 3 and doesn't do it anymore. I say just let her grow out of it.
    TishAnn752

Answer by TishAnn752 at 9:50 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My son almost 4 months does the same thing, he's not suckingo n his thumb, but his index and middle fingers all together! I tried to pull his hand away when taking a bath, he was screaming the entire bath. I don't want him to suck on pacifier, b/c my friend's baby sucks on pacifier a lot and he always have ear infection. My ped told us to clean his hand often there's not too much concern. At night he can self sooth himself and falls back to sleep. I think without sucking on his fingers he prolly will wake up every 2 hrs, but now he can sleep for 8 or 9 hours
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• short of taking her fingers out of her mouth and giving her another comfort object I think you are stuck until she gets older or grows out of it. shes still really young so there is hope but right now she is too young to do much else but wait or try to re introduce the passy
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:59 AM on Mar. 22, 2011