My daughter hit her head on the door frame tonight! What should I watch for?

I know to watch for vomiting and she was already tired because it was bedtime and she had just gotten out of the bath. She walked straight into the little piece where the door clicks into to stay shut. I know she is gonna have a nice goose egg and bruise tomorrow (just wonderful as I have an OB appointment). She is in bed now and I am afraid to fall asleep even though I barely got any sleep last night. I asked my husband to come over tonight so were both here just in case. He left me and has been staying at a friends house.

mrssmitley1210

Asked by mrssmitley1210 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Health

• look at her pupils and see if they dilate. you can google symptoms of a concussion. if you call the nurses hotline for your doctor or insurance theyre going to tell you to take her in to the ER but they always say that so you can't come back and say they didn't tell you to go, if something happens to her.
    my son fell about 2 1/2 head first off a slide onto the floor and he was fine. doctors have told me a billion times that their heads are built to withstand some owies.
    if shes not acting normal, take her in to the ER to get checked out.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• watch to see if she have any headach or vomiting
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 11:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Dizziness, lethargy, confusion, and you also know vommiting. I think if a couple hours have passed on she is probably fine. My kids have hit their heads so hard, so many times I'm surprised they've never had a concussion, lol!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Watch for nausea/vomiting. It would be best to keep her awake for a little while if possible.
    3beautifulgrls

Answer by 3beautifulgrls at 11:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I didnt react at all thinking it wasnt to bad and we were at my moms. I gave them a bath there because its easier for me to bathe all 3 kids when I have a second person to help. My mom is the one who got her the ice. She went straight for my moms arms. I didnt see her head until after they had already put the ice on it. I just worry about concussions because my brothers friend has a seziure disorder (not epilepsy) now from to many concussions. I hate that my husband left yesterday and today everything seems to be going wrong with my kids. My son also ate a penny and had to go in for an x ray. She has fallen down stairs before also but I freaked out with that one.
    mrssmitley1210

Comment by mrssmitley1210 (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My brother once ran head down, like a bull basically, full force into a metal shovel. No one really knows what he was doing, he was 7 at the time, and to this day is a little "odd". Probably, one to many blows to the head lol. But I digress, my point was he ended up with 4 staples to his head, but no concussion. He never even got a headache until after the staples were in and it was from the pain meds they gave not the actual injury. I'd watch her just in case, but children's skulls are definitely built to withstand the equilibrium deficiencies of childhood.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I took my dd to the ER a few months back after she takes a fall from our couch. Anyway heres the check out papers the doc gave me:

Falling from a significant height can injure the head, spine, or internal organs. If you suspect a head injury, talk to your child and make sure he or she answers questions appropriately.
    When to Call 911:

The child vomits more than once.
    He or she loses consciousness.
    The child complains of numbness or tingling.
    You suspect internal injuries.
    You suspect an injury to the neck or spine.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Wow, I did not even really look at thew responses above but from the long responses I saw, I am sure they are the over-protective type parents. My son is over 2.5. He fell head first over his baby gate when he was around 19 months old, he is normally a super tough little man but I was standing right there and his little gourd smacked the ground hard. He immediately began crying, which is odd for him and he also got a huge bruise on his forehead immediately!!!! By the time they got here, about 5 minutes l8r, he was running around, happy as a a little clam without a care still with his humongous bruise on his head! The paramedics told me,,,,,as long as he never lost consciousness......he is prob. okay!! They told me to keep an eye on him over night for seizures! He was fine, just a big ole bonk on the head!!!! No biggy!!!!
    Christina K.

Answer by Christina K. at 2:24 AM on Mar. 22, 2011