Gassy baby please help

My one month old is very gassy and I am breastfeeding and i don't know how much he is eating and i am really afraid that i am over feeding him please any advice would really help my pedi dosen't really know what to tell me except go to formula or pump and i will but he is so fussy i don't really have time to pump a bottle i feel like he is eating all the time and i know that would comfort him with the gas but I want to help him not hurt his tummy any advice is appreciated. thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've never heard of a baby having problems with breast milk. Get some baby gas drops in the store. The ingredient you are looking for is simethicone (I'm not sure if I spelled it right). I had gas trouble with my last child and it worked wonders Try this and see if it helps, if it doesn't you might want to try a soy formula.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:19 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• ive recentently learned a baby has had enough when he/she stops sucking, not sure though just telling what i was told,
    kellylovesmacke

Answer by kellylovesmacke at 12:20 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• ive always used mylacon for my son. I didn't breast feed my twins so I'm unsure about that aspect. if hes fussy from the gas and you haven't already try it, rub his lower tummy and/or hold him on his tummy. so his tummy is against your arm/check is against your arm. that way he is safe, and wont suffocate (since he's so small he shouldn't sleep on his stomach but im sure you know that) the pressure from laying on his tummy will probably help the gas
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:30 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I used mylacon. If baby is that gassy it could be something you are eating. Do not switch to formula quite yet. Is there something you eat daily? You can start with process of elimination. First I will wait for your response and will try to help you figure it out.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:39 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• agreed!!! the Sima stuff (babygas liquid) works wonderful. ALSO.... MAKE SURE NO TO EAT OR DRINK SPICEY, hot, anything of that nature.. EVERYTHING u put in u'r mouth, food, drinks, tylenol, meds.... IT ALL GOES THROUGH the breast to the baby also.... put him on his tummy on your knees and pat his back or lay him on his back and easlily do the bicycle with his legs to try and get the gas to release goodluck
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 12:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I agree with kkbird. These are the most common upsets of a babies tummy. Dairy, spicy foods, leafy foods ( like lettece), soda, caffeine. Try to look at what you eat daily and start eliminating things one by one. Example. For a week eliminate all dairy food, you can replace it will soy milk or lactose free products. You don't have to start with that, just an example, but if that doesn't work, move onto the next item remove that for a week, etc. I hope you are able to figure it out. Its tough, I know. My oldest DD was awful. I had to eliminate so much before I figured out it was dairy products. She was a completly different baby once I figured it out.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:57 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Besides an elimination diet for yourself, I'm wondering if maybe baby is getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. Are his poops foamy & green? If so, and really, even if they're not, try block feeding - instead of switching sides, feed baby off the same side for 2-4 feedings, then the next 2-4 feedings off the other side. I had that problem with my youngest, he wasn't gaining weight, etc, but I didn't figure the problem out til he was on formula - made me sad because I wanted to bf longer than a few weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• what are you eating?
    anything really gassy to you?
    broccoli, garlic, spicy stuff?
    it may be reflux, may be an allergy to something you are eating.....?
    try to go to a more blan diet and see if it makes a difference
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2011