How can you force religion on someone?

I have always believed in the right to choose your own religion, so I really don't get this.

I saw a mother (at least i assumed she was his mother) walking down the street screaming at her son (he looked about 10) that he would go to church, he would be an alter boy, and he would pray to the "one true God" (her words) or she'd throw him out.

How can you force religion on someone? How can you threaten your child like that over something that is supposed to be one of our basic freedoms?

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 12:07 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Oh here we goooooooo......come on now. I grew up IN the bible belt and YES YES a thousand times YES it was FORCED on us. You went to church and Sunday school or else your butt was in trouble. And YES it still happens today.... A LOT.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Ever hear the words "as long as you are under MY ROOF, you will go to church" HELL I have heard it on here. Come on now.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:15 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• You can't and to this woman's reaction, I could classify it as verbal and emotional abuse.

Answer by older at 9:51 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• The only thing that woman will accomplish is pushing her child further away from her faith.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:23 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I hear that force being used every day here on CM. The whole attitude of "I am their parent, they live under my roof, and as long as they do they will attend church with me. It's my job as their parent to bring them up in the religion I feel is important to me."

Maybe not the harsh words the woman in the OP used...but the basis is still the same. Dragging your kids to church b/c it's what YOU want to do. It's kind of selfish.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Parents force their kids all the time. My parents did. I refuse to force my kids to go. If they want to go they can tell me that. I teach my kids honesty and respect
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:27 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Sad, but I have seen it and have had to deal with it with my own 10 yr old from his classmates...
    They are telling him to repent, to find Jesus or be lost... Burns me to no end and Dh is a Christian and
    I thought he was going to go postal on someone...
    Raising a child/ren in one's religious beliefs are much different than "Forcing' it on them... yelling, screaming,
    threatening are ALL a form of 'Forcing" ...
    And many Christians (not ALL, but many) believe that is the way to go...
    Another reason why Christianity lost its flavor with me yrs ago and I no longer follow or believe in its
    teachings...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:16 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• "and to this woman's reaction, I could classify it as verbal and emotional abuse. "

And spiritual, too. Spiritual abuse is very real...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It is a fact and facet of christianity. It is sad, but a simple reality... also the reason why I feel is it such a dangerous religion.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:11 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• One of the basic facts of christianity is that anyone who isn't christian will, and deserves, to go to hell. That is one if the basic beliefs of the religion.
    That is a purely christian viewpoint, no other religions has the doctrine of 'my way or hell'. That is why it's usually only christians who force their religion.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 4:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2011