Is a big ego indicative of an underdeveloped spirit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• It indicates a certain level of childishness for someone to assume that the universe revolves around them...and only them. Look at Charlie Sheen. I am the Queen witch...but only in my own house. I have given up trying to rule the whole world and draw them into my glorious orbit (JOKE). Parents have spent the last 20-30 years building up their children's confidence, telling them how talented and wonderful they are. As a result, we now have egocentric people who think they're the best when they are sometimes only mediocre. Just listen to any contestant who has been kicked off any reality show, riffing about how GREAT they are at singing/dancing/etc. and how blind the judges are to not be able to see that because EVERYBODY knows it! People waste time honing their insults and fighting skills when they should be looking inward and developing an open spirit.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• What does deciding other people have big egos indicate?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:02 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It all depends on who's looking. What some might call a big ego is someone who is confident in what they know and do.
    daps

Answer by daps at 5:00 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I think its too hard to determine whether someone has a "big ego" or is just comfortable with who they are and/or interacting with others, etc... But I do think a sign of spiritual maturity is a personality reflecting characteristics encouraged by almost every faith - patience, compassion, etc. It does seem that there is a correlation between spiritual maturity and an increased sense of selflessness, in terms of loving mankind, not being quick to judge or be offended, etc. That's the reason, I think, that the most spiritually mature of us - sages, saints, etc, seem to be so developed in that way. When I think of God, I think of a wise sage... Not that those of us who aren't at that stage are somehow spiritually "less than". I think there are many, many different stages of spiritual development - that its kind of like a spectrum, and one doesn't have to be at the extreme end to have a healthy spirituality, if that makes sense..
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:50 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I think it's indicative of an underdeveloped MIND or immaturity.

In Buddhism, ego--or that feeling of 'I' is a delusion due to ignorance, attachment, greed, hatred, desire or 'clinging', etc. It's our delusion of self and ignorance of the interconnectedness of all things that leads to suffering.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• The ego is our biggest obstacle to obtaining true inner peace and happiness. When we become consumed with wanting to prove others wrong, in order to make ourselves feel more right...it's all about ego instead of inner peace.
    When one is truly at peace, spiritually, the need to prove others wrong dissipates. We become content within and allow others to find their own path to peace.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• A Big ego I think is cause by many different things. I think it's because the person thinks they are just so important and even more important than others around them. I dont think spirit has anything to do with an Ego. But lots of people with a huge ego are narcissistic.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:35 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I can think of at least one God with a big ego. And by definition a God wouldn't have an underdeveloped spirit. So, I'm gonna say now. If anything it comes from a belief that they are further developed than others - physically, mentally or spiritually...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• There is a difference between big ego and narcissism. We have gotten to the point where if someone is confident in themselves and their talents, are said to have big ego. ego self. they are more aware of themselves and what they can do. They expect those around them to step it up a bit. To try to excell as they do. there was a time we looked up to those who had these qualities, but now with the everybodies a winner mentality we have lost the abiltiy to excell. To push ourselves and our Children in their abilities. There are a number of women who some would say have huge egos, just because they have a strong opinion. It's those egos that makes us think, grow and learn if we let it.
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:54 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

LOL Love it
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2011