Why does my son keep scratching his butt?

My 14 month old son had a little bit of a diaper rash and red butt cheeks 3-4 days ago. I've been putting a&d on it. The rash has mostly cleared up but he keeps scratching his butt everytime I change his diaper. He has red scratch marks that look awful. Could the rash have made it itch? Should I try powder? The only thing that's changed recently is that he went from size 3 pampers to size 4.

FroggyFeet

Asked by FroggyFeet at 12:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Change to huggies? Did you switch to dry max? Could just be the rash. When my DD does that (sounds awful but) i just use my feet to hold her arms while i change her diaper with my hands.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My daughter has done this. But, we found out that she has developed a sensitivity to her normal diapers.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 12:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I didn't change to huggies, just a bigger size of pampers.
    FroggyFeet

Comment by FroggyFeet (original poster) at 1:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• have u taken him to the dr? it could be more than just a rash, could be a yeast infection, my oldest son got a yeast infection at 6 monthish and they gave him to creams, a hydrocorisone cream and a yeast infection cream. and please dont try the over the counter stuff, they have more medicine in those than what the dr would prescribe. higher dose of those meds could cause problems. so if he isnt better in a day or so i would be taken him in and seeing if its jsut more than a rash
    the cause of his yeast infection was unknown, the dr jsut told me that they are more common in babies than one might think.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 1:15 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• and that should be two creams not to....my cat was helping me type lol sorry
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 1:17 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My nephew used to do this, and then my sister-in-law found out he had eczema!! His flare-ups were always on his butt, but as he got older, it has now moved to his arms, behind the knees, etc.....I would check that out.
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 7:20 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I went through something like that right at the brink of potty training. It might be not that the diaper have changed but that he is more active and they are starting to irriate his skiin. You might want to "air " him out for little when he is unlikely to have an accident after changing. Instead of rubbing him with ointment I would put a heavy amount of it on the diaper so as he moved he wasn't so irritated. It went away and then got better and when it was really bad I would just cover his bum with ointment before bed when it had the most impact. Good Luck!
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2011