How can I get m 1 year old to go back to bed without nursing?

There's nothing wrong with nursing her back to sleep in the middle of the night, it's fast and it works, but the pediatrician says she doesn't need the extra calories and I'm trying to wean her. I don't want to make her cry herself back to sleep and just rocking doesn't work.

ibelayni

Asked by ibelayni at 12:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Personally l disagree with your pediatrician, not that your daughter needs or doesn't need the calories, I just think bmilk is never a bad thing... however if you are determined to wean you might try the soft top sippys with some water. My son is 14mo and is still nursing but at the same time loves having a sippy of water in his bed too. We have his crib set up adjacent to our bed so he many times will wake up and not even nurse but a few seconds roll over grab his sippy suck it down and pass back out.
    leejoy

Answer by leejoy at 1:00 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Maybe Baby's not ready to be weaned. Personally I'd prefer if at all possible, to do baby-led weaning. But if you must avoid nursing your little one, my best alternative for getting her back to sleep is to walk around with her laying on your shoulder, rubbing her back. Much more tiring for you than nursing her back to sleep though. BTW: the calories? Please! You CANNOT overfeed a breastfed baby.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• when i weened my kids from the bottle i just threw them away and they had to deal, they were only fussy the first few nights. having them cry and a fit does sound mean but if you dont hold your ground its going to take longer to ween, my oldest was 2 b4 he was weened because i didnt want him to cry himself to sleep. i just had to get over it and do what i had to do and he wasnt happy, well none of my kids were not happy about loosing the bottle but they got over it.....
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 1:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If you do the sippy-cup thing, you'll have another problem down the road when it comes time to potty-train!!
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 7:19 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Just give the child the boob. It's natural, and your doctor is a quack - there's nothing wrong with nursing a 1yo at night - if he/she is actually drinking a decent amount then it's obvious he/she actually does need it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• This is something Im not looking foward to. Good luck
    ZeenaS.Muh

Answer by ZeenaS.Muh at 9:30 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I too disagree with the peditrician but... to answer the question - give baby the cup or have your hubby wake and give a cup and soothe baby back to sleep.
    Kristen1010

Answer by Kristen1010 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2011