Mild side effect of vaccination? Help!

My twin babies, 2 months old had vaccination shots today. Now, they have a fever, which is normal... I think. But I'm concerned because one has a fever of 100.3 under arm pit. Is this still ok? Babies shouldn't have a fever of 100.4, they say, but does that include the side effect of shots or not? Can someone tell me?

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 1:00 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dr. said that if it was over 100.4 even after a shot to call them or take them to the er. it never hurts to be safe.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 1:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• 100.3 is insignificantly less than 100.4, especially as an underarm (axillary) temp is usually slightly lower than the actual body temp. My advice: Take her to the doctor.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I would call the doctor or take the child in, just to be on the safe side. I hope your little one feels better and is fever free soon!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I just talked to the Dr. on call. He said it's not a fever. I told him that my thermometer might be wrong. It might be 100.4. "It doesn't matter. The baby doesn't have a fever." "But 0.1 degree is so minimal, isn't it?" "The baby doesn't have a fever." "Only with 0.1 degree difference?" "Are you questioning my judgment?" "No, I just don't understand." "You are not listening. Your baby doesn't have a fever"
    Etc. He once hung up on me. I called him again, because at this time of the day, I don't have another number to call. He told me that I'm rude for not listening. I told him that I just don't understand, so I need his expertise. He just keeps repeating "It doesn't matter. The baby doesn't have a fever" and "You are not listening."
    Meachan

Comment by Meachan (original poster) at 2:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Continue... The only thing I wanted to know is that why he says there's no fever only with 0.1 degree difference, but he never answered to that question. After 5 minutes, I finally broke into tears and told him that I have a sick baby and I'm just trying. That time, he finally said there's a reason (vaccination) for the temperature, so it's not a concern. He, then, proceeded to tell me that I am emotional, not listening to him, being rude... hmmm, what else did he say? Oh yeah, something like I have to learn to listen to people. Just in case, I end up in ER with him someday, I didn't make my following point:

YOU DIDN'T EXPLAIN ENOUGH!!!

I'm actually still crying. I usually don't encounter people who treats me like this. I have a family member and friends who is in medical industry, so I usually have high respect to Dr. and nurses, but he really was an !@#$%^& on the phone.
    Meachan

Comment by Meachan (original poster) at 2:07 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• After having a child I lost respect for doctors =(
    You are only a statistic. If your baby is ill, or something happens, you are just a number. They are numb to your needs and problems. You are a mother, you know when something is wrong. Go to the hospital, you probably wont regret it. Although if you don't go to the hospital and something were to happen, you would regret it for the rest of your life.

Im so sorry he treated you that way. I would report him.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 6:17 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Time for a new doctor. Call him back and tell him he just lost your business.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I would find a pedi, that's my opinion. I had to do that once due to the doctor treating me like I was an idiot. I do have to tell you this, my youngest daughter just recently had her shots and ran a temp of 104-105 and all the docs did was perscribed me pedialite. They said her high fever was probably from the chicken pox vaccination or the wonderful Hep A vaccination. If you think about it they are actually injecting that virus into baby :/ so the body is going to react to those sometimes mildly or severly. Cont.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My suggestion would be to give baby tylenol not only for the fever, but their muscles hurt after having those needles jabbed into their legs. Bicycle her legs a few times a day so her muscles do not stiffen up. If you truly are uncomfortable with her fever see if you can get into a new pedi. I wish you lots of luck and I hope she start feeling better soon. Shots suck :(
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I would bicycle both of their legs and give them both tylenol, I just realized you said twins :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 22, 2011