How can I get my 5 1/2 yr old daughter to stop peeing her pants?????

My daughter still has accidents but just during the day. She is potty trained at night, has been since she was 3. She pees and poops in her panties during the day. When I ask why, she doesn't want to stop playing/didn't want to get up/didn't want to lose her toys. She does it at school, at home, at families houses, and recently, at our Pastors house. because she didn't want to miss the movie. As a person who had accidents at school, (due to shyness and low self-esteem.) I know how embarrassing it can be. But it doesn't seem to bother her at all. She has more diaper rashes than my 22 mth old. I don't know how I'm gonna train my baby if she sees her sister pee her pants. We have tried everything we can think of. Time outs, spankings, talking to her, privelages revoked,and now timeout on her knees. (Which I can't stand, cause I know it hurts). I don't know what else to do. Any Advice?

MommaMcG

Asked by MommaMcG at 6:19 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No sorry I dissagree with answers 1 and 2!!! I somewhat agree with the let the child do it in thier own time.... but thats at ages 2 and 3 not almost 6 for god sake that is ridiculus no offence but you obviously know this too if you are punishing her if she had a problem like a handicap or something then yes i would say you were crazy for punishing her but this sounds like she is just lazy and doesnt wanna go and that I would not stand for!!! HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE EVEN SAY LET HER DO IT IN HER OWN TIME WHEN SHE IS DOING THIS CAUSE SHE DIDNT WANT TO MISS A MOVIES OR TOYS MY GOD NO WONDER KIDS ARE OUTTA CONTROL!! If this were my daughter she wouldnt have any toys or movies to play with or watch if she were doing this, I really dont know what to tell ya my kids have all been super easy so far and done well before age 3 good luck!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• You are punishing your child for peeing and pooping? Jeez... lay off that or you might make matters worse and she will start doing the same at night unintentionally due to emotional stress.

Just give her pull ups and let her change in her own time.
    Anonymous

• Wow!... What the...

Yup, I totally agree with answer no.1.

The way you handle it will make it worse.

Good luck, you will need it.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• pull ups at age 5???that's crazy!!! Sounds like she is afraid of missing out on something. Just keep explaining to her that she can play more after she goes to the potty. Have patience and many blessings cause there is no luck, its all God!!
    Anonymous

• Seek professional help -- I would for sure ask your pediatrician and see what they recommend. There could be a problem, either physically, or emotionally that they can help you with.

Getting conflicting advice online isn't going to anything but frustrate you more.
    Mom2GnT

Answer by Mom2GnT at 8:00 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I agree with the mom who posted before me, kids don't always have accidents because they don't want to stop what they are doing... You need to take her in to see the Dr.
    AndreaLNorris

Answer by AndreaLNorris at 10:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• i was told to put a bowl of candy in the bathroom, and when she goes in the potty she gets a piece of candy. dont know if it will really work havent tried it yet
    strtngovrmom

Answer by strtngovrmom at 3:12 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Hey Me Again!
    I did ask the dr when she was 4 and he said she would outgrow it but it has gotten worse, not better. Also Answer #1 and 2 must not have read all the information I posted so I forgive you for being so mean. To answer #3, thanks I now know I am not alone in my thinking. She is very smart and has no handi-caps. I am back to questioning her every hour on the hour. I think I am going to take her back to the dr though. When I ask her if she needs to go, she usually says no. Then I convince her to go try, she usually pees alot. Other times she goes to the potty and then needs to go again 15 minutes later. Maybe she's not feeling the need...or her bladder is smaller than average...
    MommaMcG

Answer by MommaMcG at 10:21 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I don't see why you would spank her for wetting herself. She isn't embarrased or frustrated by it, so she probably doesn't understand why you're getting angry. I think a more proavtive approach would be a few days of doing really fun stuff and explaining to her that little girls who have accidents actually miss out a lot more of the time. Ask her to hand the toys to grown-up while she goes potty so that she knows they wont go missing while shes gone. Tell her that all movies can be watched again, so theyre no reason to poop your pants, becasue dont you miss a lot more when you have to stop everything for a bath?? Children are reasoning, logical, sponges. I think you can easily turn it around by showing her that the only person whose day she is ruinig, is her own.
    20sumstepmom

Answer by 20sumstepmom at 5:58 PM on Nov. 26, 2008