Is this appropriate?

My child's teacher recently sent home a list of supplies the classroom was out of and has been guilting the kids all week. My daughter said that she was given a whiteboard marker that didn't work very well for a lesson. The teacher told her "We have to use every drop of ink inside the marker because they are expensive" and "I bought these markers for our classroom with my own money!" Las Vegas has been hit really hard by the bad economy and a lot of families can't afford basic things and are losing their homes, yet this teacher doesn't get it and he is making the kids feel bad.

I looked it up online and saw that this teacher makes $49,000 a year for 9 months of work! How about cutting that down to $39,000 and using the extra money to buy supplies. My family has taken a hit, shouldn't his?

mominnorthvegas

Asked by mominnorthvegas at 2:34 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• This teacher went above and beyond and quite frankly deserves your praise and respect!
    Christina K.

Answer by Christina K. at 2:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• well that is nice of him to purchase supplies for the classroom but is not okay that he talks to the students that way if he has a complaint about something that he does not like as a teacher mayb he should take it up with the school staff or principle someone in a higher division that himself....
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 2:45 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• HMMMMM, how much does your family bring in every year I wonder.........well hey, that is really none of my business, CORRECT? Get the hint?.....hmmm. how about being thankful that your child's teacher is doing their job and teaching your child an important LIFE LESSON that will build their character and help make them a productive member of society!
    Christina K.

Answer by Christina K. at 2:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• You really think teachers of all professions, need to "take the hit"?
    Christina K.

Answer by Christina K. at 2:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I don't believe he should be making the kids feel guilty, but I don't agree with your statement, "My family has taken a hit, shouldn't his?" either. Believe or not, there is a very good chance that his family has taken a hit, too. Many, many teachers use their own money to buy school supplies and many more ask their students to bring school supplies for the whole classroom,or at least in my region of the country. Instead of getting mad, maybe you could write an email to the makers of the dry-erase markers to ask if they would donate some to your child's classroom. The worst they could tell you is no. Or maybe get many more parents involved and do a bake sale or some sort of fundraiser for the classroom.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• 1) I find the whole trend towards demonizing public employees to be very, very disturbing. Yes, the economy is down and your family may be suffering. Does that mean ALL families need to suffer? When your family was doing well did you make sure ALL families were doing well? Sounds rather selfish to me.

2) I think the teacher is just trying to get the students to be respectful of supplies. I don't think a lot of people realize how much teachers spend out of pocket. The average is like 2,000 a year! I know I lectured my students once when I was teaching after a kid intentionally destroyed a book. The classroom library contained books I purchased personally, to the tune of about $3,000 over several years. I told the kids I spent my own money on the books because I loved sharing books with kids, but it made me sad when my things were ruined. I think too many kids and parents take for granted what teachers provide.
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 3:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• The teacher makes 49,000.00 for nine months work. Actually, that teacher has to make that 49,000.00 cover his expenses, mtg, food, gas, etc. for his family for the entire year, unless he is able to find temporary work during the summer that pays more than the gas it takes to get there. Also, if that 49,000.00 is gross pay, then taxes, etc. come out of it and he's taking home less than that and still has to make it cover the entire year. Yes, he could have found a different and better way to address the situation however, he is trying to teach the children and a lack of needed supplies makes a difficult task even more difficult. Most teachers buy at least some classroom supplies from their own funds. I wonder how many would or do, use their own funds to purchase supplies for the places they work. Contributing supplies to the classroom helps give your child the needed tools to learn. Isn't that part of a parents job?
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Teacher's unions are concerned about NONE of this your liberal azzes can be assured of that.

Be assured of that.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Actually, that teacher has to make that 49,000.00 cover his expenses, mtg, food, gas, etc. for his family for the entire year,

And your point?

I have to cover those expense as well. I don't get to work on air. I have meetings, food gas...

49 thou is fair but you make it sound like as if those things are above and beyond what anyone else needs.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Yes, mustbeGRACE. The Teachers' Union is the cause of all of America's problems. Well, at least illegal immigrants are off the hook for a bit.
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 4:17 AM on Mar. 22, 2011