We currently live a very small one bedroom apartment, and we are trying to have a baby. Are since our home is so small and the baby will share a room with us before we buy a house, is this a bad ideal? Does anyone else have this problem?

We are 27 and 28,and we dont want to wait any longer.

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It's not a bad thing. Many children sleep in their parent's rooms. They either sleep in a crib in the room, or they sleep in a cosleeper (a sort of basket that either sits on the bed or on the side of it) or they cosleep. Even though we had the room our son coslept with us for a long time and my daughter did for a little bit.

Some states have laws about what age a child must have their own room (though whether or not they sleep in it is another story). You can check with your local CPS agency to determine what the laws are in your state. Usually it's around 2 that they need their own room.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 3:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• it's not a bad thing to have a baby with a one bedroom house. but you are gonna have to move so i would find a two bedroom apt or house for rent til yall are ready to buy. i have a two bedroom apt and my daugther slept in our bedroom in her bassinet. then when she stopped sleeping in there cuz she out grew it, we let her sleep with her brother. now we're in the process of looking for another apt or house for rent with a 3 bedroom cuz it's too crapped. so i would move out before i start having kids
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• It's actually a good idea. My son shared a room with me for 9 months. You don't have to go very far when they need something in the middle of the night. :) We moved when my son was about 10 months old, and it was PERFECT timing. He got his own room & started sleeping ALL night! As long as you keep your stuff & baby's stuff organized, ANY apartment can work just fine for a while. Good luck!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• If you are PLANNING a pregnancy, I would wait until you could afford to be in a two bedroom apt or home. My SIL had a surprise baby and had to do it that way and it was really hard for them. They ended up moving when he was 3 months old.
    MamaMimi237

Answer by MamaMimi237 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I say that go right on ahead and do it! Sharing your space with your baby is FINE. More power to you. *hugs*
    CreativeSpirit

Answer by CreativeSpirit at 5:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• do you think it is bad or good? Do you think this arrangement will work for you, your child and your marriage? Do what feels right to you and your hubby!
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 6:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I say there's nothing wrong with having your first baby in a tiny apartment. But then again that's exactly what happened to me. My first 2 pregnancies were surprise pregnancies while I was on birthcontrol. We lived in a tiny one bedroom apartment and had the crib in our room. Even parents that have large houses with many rooms start out with the baby sleeping in their room. We moved to a 2 bedroom apartment when we got pregnant the 2nd time. Later we bought a two bedroom condo, which is where we currently live. The two older kids share a room and the baby is in our room, she's 13 months. She will be moving into the older kids room soon. We are pregnant AGAIN and this time it's twins, we are keeping our fingers crossed that the market recovers enough for us to get a larger house so we have room for our 5 kids. Either that or that we win the lottery!!!!
    misty1_sd

Answer by misty1_sd at 12:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2008