Tubes tied - risks, personal experience, cons?

For lack of a better way to explain it, I am allergic to pregnancy... it literally almost killed me. But thank God, we survived it and I have a beautiful kiddo. Tomorrow I am going in to talk to my OBGYN about getting my tubes tied :)

So, who out there can give me some insight? Cons? Personal experience?

Again, it doesnt matter if I REGRET the decision because I cannot get pregnant again. It would kill me- literally.

thanks moms :)

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 5:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Health

• They seem to be doing a really crappy job these days with tying tubes. Ive literally seen dozens of Moms here come up preggo after supposedly getting their tubes tied. I also know 8 women in the last 2 years who got tied only to get preggo. If you get it dont have the Dr remove sections of your tubes and burn both ends so you dont get preggo again. Tell the Dr you want to be steralized so you cant have more. Not that you just want the tubes tied. They dont seem to be good at tying knots these days.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I had a tubal ligation. They cut and burned my tubes. That is the best was to do it.  I have had no problems with it. No pregnancy scares.

Answer by louise2 at 6:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• This is probably a dumb question.. Does it effect your period or hormones in any way?
    stenhouse_baby

Comment by stenhouse_baby (original poster) at 6:02 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Absolutely NOT a dumb question!! It DOES affect your period and hormones......I had mine tied 6 years ago, and they went through my belly-button.....
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 6:59 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I had mine and my only complaint is that I have worse PMS and cramps then ever before. They told me going in 1 in 4 women get it, but now having it and talking to other women it seems it is more then 1 in 4 who end up with pmdd. Its so bad! I would definitely have forced my dh into a vasectomy if I had known this lol.

Answer by gemgem at 7:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I have heard lots of women talk about period cramps getting worse afterwards.

My girlfriend had hers done and said it was a pretty painful and long recovery.

I just sent my dh thurs for a vasectomy. Its a much easier procedure for them, and HECK we've done everything else! I personally have birthed 3 babies! lol And I dont have easy pregnancies or births either...so off dh went to his appointment :) lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• it does affect your hormones, which is exactly why i didn't do it. i had really bad migraines from a hormonal birth control pill, i was not about to have a surgery that i couldn't just throw in the garbage if i had a bad reaction like that pill. so my husband agreed to get a vasectomy, best decision we ever made =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I was out of work for just one day and never had any complications. It was easier than giving birth...thats for sure. It is the best thing I have ever done. I had bad periods before I had them tied and have kept my Mirena in place (and actually had it replaced once) afterwards. I don't like having periods! So I can't answer the question about hormones and periods.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• PTLS is something very real for many women who have had a traditional tubal ligation. Plus you also have the chance of the tubes regrowing together (same issue with vasectomies). I had Essure done instead. I love it. My periods are back to what they were pre-kids.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:18 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• as far as the procedure it was easy and it didnt bother me but now i heave heavier bleeding, cramps at the time i would ovulate and pms symptoms where before i never had cramps and didnt have mood swings like i have now. its something that i could deal with it just sucks.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 8:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2011