What do you think about a child swallowing gum? Is it really that bad?

My daughter loves chewing gum, she can chew on it for hours...but when she wants a snack and forgets to spit it out she without thinking just swallow it. Do you think its bad...? I have heard so many stories about it that I dont know what to think. I dont like it when she does swallow it, but she is a very good gum chewer and usually doesnt have a problem spitting it out when its time....hmmm. But the swallowing???? oh and she is 2 years and 3 months old.

nicholelpb

Asked by nicholelpb at 6:43 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Health

• my daughter is 2 also and she loves to chew gum however sometimes forgets to spit it out....i think its harmless ...however i have seen it in her diaper which is pretty funny.
    karliesmom0506

Answer by karliesmom0506 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• i always swallowed my chewing gum, it was kind of a habit.. until i watched the news... a little boy was always chewing gum. out of the blue he had breathing problems for weeks. the parents took him to the doctor and the x-ray showed something in his lungs... it was a chewing gum. after it was removed in a surgery his breathing problem was solved :)

but other than that. i dont like giving kids chewing gum anyway. but thats because i always choked on chewing gum and candies when i was a child. my parents told everybody to not give those specific things to me and some ppl (kindergarten teacher ect.) did it anyway. Almost died once. So nope, i wont give my daughter chewing gum. I rather give her a piece of chocolate. haha
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• and no, i dont think its bad or anything. for me as a grown up it wasnt bad. not sure about kids tho :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• yes.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:30 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I swallowed my gum all the time as a kid and I never had any problems with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Nov. 26, 2008