How Do I Get My Daughter To Stop Biting.

My daughter Trinity just turned two and seems to be going through a biting stage, she will randomly walk up to me and bite me and make me bleed I seem to be the only one so far that she has bite but I could be wrong what my question is how would most parents go about handling the biting and how do I lets say puinish the biting before it becomes more then just me bleeding, I have had a lot of parents say bite her back, which to me is out of the question that would just be teaching her aggressive behaviors OK, has anyone gone through this with there kids and does anyone have advise on what to do besides biting my two year old back. Thank-you.

Michala1

Asked by Michala1 at 8:15 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds horrible, but BITE HER BACK. It does not teach aggressive behavior. It shows her the consequences of what she is doing. It shows her that she is hurting someone. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it really does work, and usually on the 1st round.

I know I got bit back as a kid, and it only took one time. I never bit anyone again!!!
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 8:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My friend had this happening with her child. She would watch very closely and got to the point where she knew when the child was going to bite. She got to know by the action of the child's head and where she put her hands that she was gong to do it and would then say firmly "no biting". It took several weeks but she and her husband stuck with it and eventually it stopped. She was not punished for this. The mom told those of us who had the child over for play dates how to watch for it too. You could probably goggle it too and see what advice is out there.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:40 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Thank-you both of you helps I just can't imagine biting her that's what a lot of people keep saying just sounds weird that it would stop it not have her keep doing since she sees me doing it then as well but I guess once she saw it hurts that might change her mind there.
    Michala1

Comment by Michala1 (original poster) at 8:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Honestly, biting her back will let her see how it feels and make her stop a lot faster than trying to prevent each bite with a no-no. How would you feel if she started doing this to other kids? Biting your child is not abuse when it is to stop this habit, but allowing your child to hurt others is not right.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:52 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• She's not biting others its just me and I don't want her to keep biting anyone that's why I was asking if anyone had ideas so I can teach her that its not OK but I'm not biting my daughter back I just couldn't do it I know that'd not the only way that parents have taught there kids not to bite!!!! Thanks for the advise everyone it really does help
    Michala1

Comment by Michala1 (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• everyone says to bite them back, so it must work. still, it seems really mean, and i also feel like it's telling them, "you don't hurt people, come here so i can hurt you." makes no sense to me.
    my dd went thru a horrible biting phase: me, other kids, an attempt on the dog, furniture, even her own hand or arm when she was really pissed. i just kept repeating that we NEVER hurt our friends. when she bit a kid, i'd make her get a cold rag and hold it on their bite and show it to her, really make her look at it, and tell her, "your friend is crying! look how sad he is! you did that, you made your friend so sad that he's crying. his hand really hurts. i think maybe he won't come play with you anymore because you made him feel sad." a lot of the time she would get more upset than the bitten kid! and go running for a stuffed animal or a treat to make him feel better. just hang tough, most of them do it and get over it in a few mos.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 7:36 AM on Mar. 27, 2011