Is a goldfish bowl okay?

The other day I spotted a vase at a friends house with a lillte plant and two goldfish in it. It looked really pretty and made me think of that gigantic bowly vase (twice the size of theirs) I have and never use. Is it okay to turn it into a goldfish bowl? -They say the fish has like 2 seconds of memony, so he won't know he's in a tiny place. But still ... they're supposed to swim, right? How big does it have to be? I'd feel sorry for the fish if it was too small. How often do I have to clean it? HOw long does a goldfish live anyway? (Never had one.)

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 8:34 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Pets

• I'd call a good pet shop and see what they say. any shop I've even been to would suggest against it.
    everyone I knew that ever did this sort of thing ended up with a lot of dead fish.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It is entirely untrue that a goldfish will only grow as big as it's environment. Goldfish are dirty fish that release a lot of carbon dioxide into their environment. They need a large tank because they do grow fast and will out grow a little bowl very quickly. Talk to someone at a store that deals with fish...an average pet store employee couldn't help you find your way out of a wet paper bag.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:07 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Goldfish aren't going to live very long without a filter, honestly. They are very dirty and even with frequent cleanings it's going to be hard to keep one alive in just a bowl. How about a Beta?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:11 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• They need as much space as a Goldfish bowl allows. So if your vase has at least that much space then go for it. They can live several years and their water should be changed at least every 2 weeks or more frequently. Goldfish are dirty fish and need the frequent cleaning.

coala

Answer by coala at 8:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I agree with Coala ! Sounds like your going to have a really nice goldfish bowl ! :)
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 8:40 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• goldfish will only grow as big as their tank will allow them. so say yuo have a really large tank and only have one or two then they would grow pretty large but if you have a small bowl they will stay fairly small too. i agree with coala and have fun with your new fishes.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 8:51 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I was told you always need a filter, or a way to keep the water oxygenated because as funny as it sounds fish need oxygen. You can tell that they need it most when they start coming to the top and it looks like they are eating the water, but what they are doing is getting air from the top. I don't know how the fish live in a bowl, i always used a little tank, i always fell bad for fish in a little bowl..lol thats just me, i have an odd love for animals.. Anyway, ask a pet store for best advice, its cheaper to buy fish stuff at walmart or a flea market but pet stores offer best advice. Good luck and goldfish can live in almost any condition, they are like scavengers get an algae eater and don't worry about cleaning the tank "all the time".
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Don't use gold fish, instead get a beta - only one male or they will fight to the death - and do a beta vase. You don't have to clean it as often and betas live a lot longer than goldfish.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Oh wow! I didn't expect so many answer in such a short time. Thanks a lot!
    BeachMom81

Comment by BeachMom81 (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• go for it
    miranda2011

Answer by miranda2011 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011