Do you keep a friend that is a BAD mom?

I've met (in real life) a couple mom's on here. Most are wonderful! There is one however that is a questionable mother. (Self admitted) She says really inappropriate things about her 2 yo. ie that the child is a bad, evil child and has admitted to calling the 2yo names to her dh. None of us has witnessed any physical abuse, but she get get a bit rough. The child is out of control and on no schedule. On one had I feel like this women needs some guidance and is calling out for help, but on the other I don't know her well enough to be blunt with her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in About CafeMom

• Don't feel like its your job to save her. Unless you see physical violence, of course-then all bets are off. You could just see how things go at the next couple meet ups or play-dates. And see if you would actually consider her a friend. And relating to her with her child will always help. If she says something about her kid being out of control, say something like " Oh, my child was having a really hard time behaving when he wasn't on a regular nap schedule. But once I did that, he got so much better." Any time we let others know we are human makes them feel better and she might just need to know that there are other moms out there that also get frustrated.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 7:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I have a friend that would do anything for her kids but she doesn't treat them very well. She's always cussing at them and screaming at them. I scream too but NOT like she does. She does this to her 1 year old as well, like he knows any difference.

She is my friend but we don't speak too often. I've tried to distance myself from that. I don't like when we get together and she screams at her kids in front of my kids.
    Anonymous

• I agree with chillemi78 after a couple of meet ups maybe you can say well I wanted to go to some parenting classes you wanna come with?
    I did that with my sister and it helped without me being blunt
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Try helping her. We have an adoptive child and the birthmother has cursed at the small child she is parenting..and I Mean BAD. She also called the child we have now a " lil m*fer" when she was referring to him to someone. She screams and yells all day with maximum effort and minimal results.
    Anonymous

• ...and anti adoption activist say "keep your child". I'm glad they are apart of this family instead of with her. He is too. He's seen her act this way.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all the advice!
    Anonymous