Lions and Tigers and LICE, OH MY!!!

Someone help!!! My 5 year old got lice for the first time and I treated her hair yesterday. This morning I woke up to find no eggs but 1 live one on her. I treated her again but now its to the house. How do you wash stuffed animals??? Shes not in school yet so thats a plus!!!

familynsni

Asked by familynsni at 9:52 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• google it,, but i remember i was told to put them in a pillow case before washing them. They have lice shampoo, we had to go through this with my niece many years ago. Be sure to tell school too! They have to send a letter home, many can be infected!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• They sell a spray at most drug stores. It is also recommended that you retreat them in 7-10 days. You don't want to treat them too often because you are putting a pesticide on your child's head. My kids both got lice from school last week and I panicked. Then I decided to learn about it and inform myself. Google it. Once you learn about the life cycle of them you can determine how to handle it. They also sell all natural prevention shampoos so you never have to worry about it again!
    ConcernedMom141

Answer by ConcernedMom141 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If you tie everything like that up in plastic bags for 2 weeks, that works. Also, you can get the spray by Rid for furniture and pillows and stuff. Make sure you go through her hair with that nit comb at least every day for a few days, too!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• OMG. I am so sorry for you because lice are a pain in the ass to take care of. My niece went through it a few years ago and while one of us was combing, the other was bagging stuffed animals, treating and vacuuming the entire house, etc.

The stuffed animals and things that arent easy to wash can be put in large trash bags and need to sit for a couple weeks. If I am remembering correctly, a trip through the dryer can also be enough because of the heat, but I would look that up before trusting it. We did the sprays on all of her carpets and furniture, but if I had it to do over, I think we would have bombed her house instead, because that spray was crazy expensive.

Try to go through room by room and think about where lice might be in there, and then take care of it.

It BLOWS...but it is better to go overboard the first time than to do it half way and end up getting reinfested over and over.

Sorry mama! I feel for you!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:02 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• most you can wash right in your washer. if not soak them in the tub in HOT HOT water with detergent by hand.

but you have to wash everything. sheets, bedding, steam clean furniture and carpets.. its not fun.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'm the Minnesota Lice Lady http://www.mnlicelady.com/,

TRANSMISSION: Lice crawl (don't jump or fly) from human head to human head.

ENVIRONMENT: Lice are extremely fragile; they dehydrate and die in 24 hrs without feeding. Nits/eggs need an incubated environment of precise humidity and heat in order to hatch (found only on head). The nymphs/babies die in a couple hours without a blood meal.

CLEANING: Items worn past 24 hrs & bedsheets put in dryer on high heat 20-30 mins. Combs/brushes put in nearly boiling water 10 mins. Experts believe lice transmission from inanimate objects is less than 2%. So cover your bases but you don't need to steam clean the couch or carpet. NEVER use a pesticide spray: "Fumigant spray and fogs can be toxic if inhaled or absorbed through the skin" -CDC.

NITPICK: With highest quality nit comb thoroughly comb out wet detangled hair. Blow dry & visually inspect. Repeat every 5 days for 3 weeks.
    Gonne A.

Answer by Gonne A. at 2:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2011