Does anyone have luck with this?

Does any one have luck with starting there own craft business online?
I have started two shops to try and get stuff out there. I have posted links on facebook, twitter, cafemom and made business cards left them around local places. I have some traffice on my shops but not alot! Has anyone had luck with selling online and how long did it take to get started:?

gizmokitty

Asked by gizmokitty at 9:52 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Have you tried Etsy? If I ever look for homemade goods I go straight to etsy.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Online sales can be difficult. Have you thought about setting up a table at a craft fair? People are more likely to buy if they can see the product in person.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I used to sell all the time...generating traffic is hard though. My best advice is to set up booths at flea markets, festivals, craft fairs, and sometimes even carnivals. Also, how many people do what you do? Are you willing to personalize any product that you offer? How long will it take, do you offer gift wrap or at least a cute bag..... how competitive are you with your prices, and with shipping? Selling online is definitely hard, and I always recommend it to be used as a second business, with a small shop or setting up when you can being the first.... Good Luck to you, feel free to email me if you need too.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I have setup and Etsy shop and on artfire shop......here is the links to both of them

http://www.artfire.com/users/DaisyMaesDesigns

http://www.etsy.com/people/daisymaedesgins?ref=si_pr

I M TRYING SO HARD! Alot of times the pictures dont do justice to what is made due to me being a sucky photographer!

I have looked into a local craft shop coming up. But $1200.00 for a booth with electric, which I would need if I made something on the spot!
    gizmokitty

Comment by gizmokitty (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I try to offer reasonable shippping and prices. And I know so many people doing the same thing are out there it makes it a tough world lol! The gift wrap idea or cute bag is awesome thanks for the ideas!
    gizmokitty

Comment by gizmokitty (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Make sure you re-list your items periodically so they come up at the top of searches for the items that you make.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:10 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I really like your bags! One of my concerns would be how easily kids could destroy th tutu part of the bag and how dirty it may get. Another thought was saying more uses for them. If I had one I would use it only to go back and forth to dance or gymnastics. Could you set up a display at the local gymnastics club and offer them 20% of the profit? You may also be able to sell them at local Childrens boutiques or shops like Once Upon a Child. May help to add more variety to your shop too.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• thank you! And that is why I made the tutu tote bag! For my daughter who is in dance class. And I am working with the owner now to try and sell a few in her shop. But the bags can be done in different colors as to not show dirt and have alrady figured out to make the tutu shorter for the bags and also hand sew the tutus onto the bags to help to keep it on there. In the process of making one for a model.
    gizmokitty

Comment by gizmokitty (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Working a few Crafts Fairs can really help boost your online sales. People see your stuff first hand, you can have them sign up for e-mails, pass out cards with your web address, stuff like that. They are great for selling, but also great for marketing. They usually are around $25 for a table at a one day fair. I used to do them all the time with my Dad and Nana when I was young. Now thinking about getting back into it for myself.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 22, 2011