His Toy Box is Out of CONTROL!!!!!

My son has a big toy box and it is a giant mess and I have NO idea where to even begin! I am a very organized neat freak and this toy box is starting to scare me! Have any of you ever had this problem and how did you handle the overwhelming amount of toys?? How do I know I'm not donating a toy he really loves? If I involve my son, I'd be afraid he'd get upset with any toy I bag up. He is only 2!

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Home & Garden

• i clean out my kids toy box every 4-6 months. first i keep all sets together away from the toy box on a higher shelf so it stays together (in a basket).. then the random toys go in the toy box.

every couple of months i throwout what broke or is missing peices first. then all the silly cheap toys we get from things like mcdonalds or the dollar store that we grabbed last minute to keep the occupied we put in the donate bag. from there we look at toys that they simply don't play with.. trick is finding out what that is... so for the day i pull out all the rest of the toys. and let her pull out what she wants to play with.. when i see whats left i go from there deciding pending on if i seen her play with it in the past or not. i also keep toys that are more mature that i know she'll enjoy in a few months when she learns more about it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'd still involve him. Explain there are kids out there without any toys and he needs to make room for next Christmas (Assuming you celebrate xmas). Make it some fun project for him. Tell him he needs to pick out what he plays with often and he gets to keep it. The rest he gets to donate to another child who really would love any toy.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I take away toys that he doesn't seem too interested in then in a few months, I bring them back out and put others away. I just went through his toys & put away all the really baby things & I am saving them for his siter who is due in June. He didn't even notice. I usually sort his things when he is napping or at night when he is sleeping because if he sees me put things in bags to put away, he'll freak. I also took diaper boxes & covered them with cute contact paper and cut out the holes on the sides where you carry them & I sorted all his cars & misc. toys & now he can drag the box around himself Then we just throw it all back in at the end of the day. I think he gets more fun out of his toys when everything is neatly sorted & easy to find. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:35 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Try taking a toy and hiding it for a few days. If he doesnt notice its gone...then donate it. Do this 1 toy at a time until you get the amount of toys you want.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 9:59 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• You have to clean out toys every year for this not get overwhelmed, ask him what his favorite toys are and give away the rest.

Answer by older at 10:00 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• try weeding them out with some to sell and some to give away......make it a game and take him with you to give the stuff away so he knows its going to a good home
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I would limit what goes into the toy box. I know my girls like to turn theirs into a "catch-all" and when that happens they can't find anything and it is just overflowing. We have things in shelves on baskets so that only misc or larger toys are in the actual toy box. All our books are on the shelf, dress up is in its own basket, barbies are in their own basket, legos and blocks are in their own containers, etc. It helps stay organized and frees up space in the toy box. The things that remain in there are things that are basically self-contained (like Mr. Potato head...all the pieces are inside), or things that don't have pieces.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2011