How have you handled this?

Does anyone have a clue what the vocabulary of 'going out with' means in a 12 year olds mind??? So many of my daughter's friends 'are going out with' boys. I've asked my daughter and she says (it's not really going out Mom you just say yes or no). I don't like that yes or no to what I said? She said "going out". Round and round. Anything to worry about? You have or had it happen with your kids? Things start way... too young and with all this 'sexting stuff', cell phones, internet how can we as parents be careful? What about walking in the mall, etc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• My only experience with it is from when I was that age and all it meant is that you were declaring yourselves a couple among your peers at school. Holding hands while walking to class or maybe a peck on the lips at your locker. Although, that was a lot of years ago for me.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:20 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It probably means going to hang out at the mall and stuff, but really in this day and age I would be scared to let her do this alone. When my son was this age, he went to the mall, I would take him drop him off and stick around without him noticing, it isn't easy mom, use your inner gut here, and go from there. I think it is too young to be going out on their own just yet.

Answer by older at 10:21 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I am hoping that at 12 they are not sexually interested. I have no doubt that kissing will be involved. Holding hands. That kinda stuff, but this day and age....its terrifying. Good luck sweetheart.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 10:23 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It means everyone things they are boyfriend and girlfriend. THey probably dont go anywhere at that age. Just talk on the phone or online. I remember those days... you'd occassionaly sneak to a movie LOL
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• everything thinks **** typo oops
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It just means they are your "boy/girl friend". I remember being that age ( a looong time ago) and we said that then. Never went anywhere. My 9 year old is "going out" with a boy, he even asked her on a date last week. Are they going anywhere? Of course not!! I think it's cute. Just know your kids and make sure you talk to them openly about these things.
    ConcernedMom141

Answer by ConcernedMom141 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I agree with Syphon- it just means that they say they are boyfriend and girlfriend, they hold hands or whatever, and they talk on the phone or online. Not actually going anywhere, at least not when I was that age. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:50 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Well, when I was 12 (about 22 years ago) it just meant you were 'going out' in name only. There was usually no actual dating involved. If there was it was groups of friends going to the movies together and maybe some hand holding. I know that's what me and the boy I liked, my "boyfriend" did. We took our little brothers to the movie as an excuse to "go out" and then we'd hold hands and get teased by our brothers, lol. Unless they are good friends outside of school it's usually just an in-school thing. For my and my "boyfriend" we had stopped going to the same school (I moved across town) so we only saw each other on the weekends. And both our parents knew how we felt and had no problems with it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:07 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• 'Going out' at that age is usually nothing serious. More like a classroom romance. They say they are bf/gf just for the sake of being bf/gf LoL
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I did it too...LOL It means they talk at school, maybe hold hands, and really like each other... it usually is really innocent! RLAX mama! Its not the big dating...LOL
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2011