Having trouble getting my 4 year old to listen....

Can you moms give me some advice on how to make him understand mommy is serious and I mean business!? Ive tried taking toys away and time outs. Doesnt seem to be working.

jmgblair10

Asked by jmgblair10 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Keep trying and be consistent
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Tell him once. If he obeys, that is great. If he doesn't, spank his bare leg, give him a hug, and tell him you love him too much to let him grow up to be disrespectful and disobedient. Then go back to your business. Repeat as necessary. He will soon become a very obedient little boy.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:39 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I agree with CraftingMama- consistency is a key factor. Also, taking away privileges for not listening and missing out on treats might help.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My son is almost 4 and I sometimes have the same problem. I found that finding the thing that's most important to him (in his case, playing with my itouch)and taking that away, works best. I got nowhere with timeouts but will sometimes put him into his room for quiet time when we get into a cycle in which he just keeps testing. That tends to break the cycle. Oddly enough, I've also found that limiting TV until late in the day seems to help (he doesn't get much TV time to start with). For whatever reason, TV seems to wind him up even with he's just watching PBS kids shows. I also make sure to praise him when he does listen to me. One other tihng I read. When you make a request, if he doesn't listen, immediately go to him and "help" him to do what you want. Don't keep repeating and waiting for him to comply. That teaches him that he can get away with ignoring you the first few times. (I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2011