My home is over run with my childs toys! How do I go about getting rid of unwanted toys??

It's ridiculous, can't even walk into his room without tripping, lol Our living room looks like his room. Starting to feel like that hoarders show. My son is 6, and gets very upset when I suggest to donate the toys. Maybe its my fault too for buying so much. Help!

hazeleyezmommy

Asked by hazeleyezmommy at 10:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just done this last week! I told my son that we were going to donate the ones that he doesnt play with to children that didnt have many toys to play with like he does. Its a good way to teach your children about giving too! He was so excited. We got rid of ALOT of things. We just sat down and started going through them all. Got rid of the broken ones and the ones he hadnt played with in forever, we put aside to be donated :) We actually know a family that is less fortunate, and we gave some to them and gave the rest to a local charity:)
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Buy some cheap plastic storage tubs and pile stuff in that he's not playing with. Stick them in another room, telling him he can ask for particular items, but don't let him have access to the whole tub.

After a few months, take what he hasn't played with over to Goodwill or a consignment store.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:35 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Have a garage sale! People go crazy over toys at garage sales! Or sell the popular ones on ebay! You'll be surprised how many people are looking for specific toys or replacement parts for toy collections.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Storage tubs work, as well as rotating toys. I also tell the girls that we're going to donate some of the lesser used toys to kids like them that don't have as many or no toys. My DDs are very sympathetic.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:42 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• the gradge sale idea is great especially when they are old enough to be involved. as a kid my parents would go thru my toys with me we would grt rid of alot and during the yard sale i had my own booth to sell my stuff. it tought me to not be a pack right while working to get what i wanted in the end i would get the money for my stuff and be able to save it or go by things with my own money. my parents would normaly push me tord saving it so i could get something biger latter.. it then taught me to save money
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• get 2 very large bins, one for keep one for donate, and a bag for trash! Then go for it! I do it every 3 mnthes ( 5 kids...LOL)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2011