I was just bluffing!!

I got myself in a pickle this time...*sigh*

My BIL watches Kaylee when I am working. I work at 2pm, and my bf gets off work at 6, so its usually between 4-5 hours. He is 18, has no life, so its no biggie, and I pay him for it.

Well, last week my MIL let it slip that when my daughter had a dirty butt (she pooped) that he called HER to come and change it!! I was shocked, and let her know that it was NOT ok, but she assured me that if no one was able to come that he would have done it himself...I was still a little upset, but I figured that she was probably right.

So today I had an eye appointment, and I called him to see if he could watch her, and he said yeah. So he comes, I leave (around 1:30) and I get back around 4

So I walk in, and everything is fine, she is in her swing and I ask why (usually her swing is only for helping her take a nap if all else has fails)
Continued Below

CarolynBarnett

Asked by CarolynBarnett at 7:33 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

• So he tells me that she pooped her pants right after he had just changed her, so he put her in the swing! I asked if he changed her butt, and he said no!!! He said that his mom was going to do it when she got there...I let him know that it was TOTALLY unacceptable, and asked him what he would have done if she was not able to come, wait until I got back? He did not say anything. I then proceeded to explain the risk of infection, and how a little girl is all open down there, and that changing her was a part of babysitting. He sat there with a blank look on his face, which pissed me off.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• So I let him know that he needs to be changing her, and that I would not have my daughter end up with an infection just because he did not feel like changing her, and either he could do it right or I would find someone else to watch her. He said "Fine. Do that." !!!! I really didn't think he would say that, I am his only means of income!! So now what? When his mom got here, I explained, infront of him, everything that had happened so that she did not get some tall tale about how I would not let him watch her anymore...
    CarolynBarnett

• She said that she would talk to him about it....but even if she does that, should I let him watch her anymore? I really want to say no, but it is my boyfriends brother...I don't know what to do! My MIL will watch her for the time being when I have to work, but that is not a long-term answer...and the daycare's around here are out of the question...not to mention that I can't afford them!

Sorry this is so long...I guess I needed to rant along with asking what would you do?
    CarolynBarnett

• Good for you! I know you are up the creek now because you didn't really want to fire your babysitter, but you did what was best for your child.
    Star76

Answer by Star76 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• If he won't even change a diaper I can't imagine he's paying much attention to her. Check online and the local paper for someone else to watch her. With the economy as bad as it is I bet you can find someone who would love to watch her for the extra cash.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I really want to say no, but it is my boyfriends brother...I don't know what to do!

What? Who's more important to you, your baby or this 18 year old kid that should be out working with his peers, not hanging around waiting for a babysitting gig.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:41 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I wouldn't let him watch her anymore. I knoww its family, but what he did was not right. What if you had been gone longer? She could have got a really bad diaper rash. Look around Craigslist and post an ad for childcare. Good luck!
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I wouldn't let him watch her anymore, no way. Like someone else said, what else is he not paying attention to that you don't know about? If daycare is not an option, try putting up signs and ads online for a new sitter. And find one that has references you can call. That's what I would do! Good Luck!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 8:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• If someone can't change a baby's diaper, they have no business babysitting. I have a 17 year old son and he changes diapers, bathes, dresses, feeds and puts our 2 babies in bed if he's babysitting. He does it through the day to help me out if I ask him to. He's gonna make a great dad someday.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I'm glad you're in a pickle! He shouldn't be watching a baby. OMG! Good luck, but this time make sure you find someone who will take care of your baby.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:18 AM on Nov. 26, 2008