Masking sickness with Tylenol and taking to pre-school

My DD's bff has been sick and throwing up since Sunday evening -- it appears to be a 48 hour stomach virus that is going around. Her father kept her home on Monday -- but last night she started throwing up again and had fever! Her dad (who I am kind of friends with) told me a minute ago that the mom (they are seperated) is giving her tylenol and taking her to preschool! This really ticks me off as they are supposed to be fever-free for 24 hours before returning to school due to being contagious. What would you do? I will be so angry if my child gets sick!

BaileysMom476

Asked by BaileysMom476 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would be pissed too. That is a blatant disregard for both the child & the other children who are there. I would call the school & tell them to keep her seperated from the other kids. Also I am sure that the Teachers don't want to get sick either. That is WRONG!!!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:39 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Tell the school what is going on.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Thats sad. I guess you could try calling the school and letting them know whats going on. if they are only masking it the fever will probably come back after about 4 hours when the tylenol wears off anyways. So they will know.
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• They'll find out when the tylenol wears off or she throws up all over the place.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:39 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I hate to tell you but this happens all of the time. Parents don't want to deal with sick kids so they dose them up, send them to school and hope they make it through the day. I know of a lady that sent her daughter to school knowing she had strep (she found out at urgent care at 7pm) and the daughter was at school the next morning. People just won't miss work to deal with it.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Thank you guys. Some parents can be so selfish and inconsiderate!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• ok -- School's on alert -- I am sure mom will be mad about this -- but she needs to think of her and everyone else's child! UGH
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• You right khedy! But it still irritates me EVERYTIME! People who don't want to be inconvenienced by sick children should consider these things before having them!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Yeah, you're really not supposed to and it's really unfair to the other kids (not to mention the teachers) but do you know how many parents do it? And seriously, some people just cannot take a day off every time their kid gets sick...it's really a dilemma.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Well I understand that people have to get paid -- thats why parents need to have alternate plans for childcare in case their child is sick and they cant take off. Not trying to be rude, but by leaving their child at pre-school, they have made THEIR problem -- into MY Problem!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2011