In your experience who is more judgemental of the other...

Do religious people judge non-religious people more harshly or is it the other way around. What makes you think this?

And if you're one of those people who is perfect and never judges anybody for anything then skip this question

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think there's a fair amount going back and forth, but I will say that I do find religious people to be more judgemental of other religous people. (Example those calling Catholics, JW's and Mormons "cults" tends to come from other Christians and not the non-religious).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Is this even a real debate question or a quick lets see how pissy we can get people question? Some one needs a Snuggie.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• canofworms

CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Everyone is judgmental of everyone. The only difference is certain specific groups have rules against it. You can debate whether or not it is wise to have doctrine counter to human nature, but it's there. As a result - everyone is, but some people set a standard for themselves not to be. Only those with a rule against it are doing something negative when they judge others, for everyone else it's nothing more than one of the many basic survival skills we're all born with.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I think it's pretty much equal.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:40 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• One is as bad as the other. Except on this point. Religious can be extremely judgemental of each other. ( guilty at times) * raises hand* while non except each other as they are. Um something to be learned there.
    daps

Answer by daps at 10:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I think everyone judges others. How harshly we judge others probably depends on individuals, so I'd say 'both sides' do it when it comes to religious and non-religious people judging each other. Some religions have rules against it, but every follower of that religion may not follow these rules or guidelines. Some just encourage us to be mindful of it or be mindful of our REASONS for it, so maybe we don't do it so much or for the wrong reasons. They also might encourage self-improvement so we not only stop judging others so harshly, but also ourselves. In some ways, judging can just mean evaluating a situation (and not be meant in a negative way), so in that sense I think we are always judging other people, things, situations, etc and probably can't completely stop--nor should we.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• LMAO! someone needs a snuggie.... you just made me lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It just isn't believers judging non-believers its one religion judging another religion or more so those
    who follow something differently than another...
    I am Judged a lot bc I am a believer, but I am a Pagan... I believe in the divine, but not the same as other
    religions, so to many that is a cause to judge me.
    Non-believers/Atheists are (I believe) judged more so by more mainstream religions than others bc
    it's hard for some believers (of these mainstream beliefs) to understand that not everyone needs to
    have religion/faith/beliefs to be good ppl...
    I also see that non-believers/Atheists tend to not judge as much as they will defend themselves from
    those who judge them... as many of us who walk a more Paganish path have done and still do...

Now as a human being we all judge, we all see things/ppl/lives/actions differently and judge accordingly
    with or without knowing that we are actually judging ....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I thought nobody was perfect? I think they can both be judgmental depending on the topic.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2011