The schools here now make the parents bring asprin for the kids and if there is nothing there they do not get it.

do other schools do this too?

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 22, 2011 in

• This is fairly common. Why should the school provide medication? That is a parent responsibility and expense.
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• The reason schools are now doing this is to prevent a child being given a medication that the parent has not pre-approved.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:42 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Ours does. We have to have a note with the medication.
    lizfox111

Answer by lizfox111 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It's my understanding that schools no longer take or have the authority to administer any medication without a prescription with a clear written prescription label on it for school use.
    Bandaides are about all they can dispense.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:51 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• lots of schools do this. I had to bring Motrin to school for my son because the nurse couldn't distribute meds.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Our small schools do not have nurses, so if you want your child to take medication you have to take it to the receptionist with a note. She'll notify the teacher and the schedule written out will be followed. No need for a prescription.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:41 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• not sure if the schools around here do this but I know they do call us if there is a concern about our child
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• The schools I went to NEVER gave children meds that didn't come from the parents. NONE of my son's schools did either. ALL meds have to be accompanied by a medical authorization and must be in the original container. Prescription meds have to be accompanied by an authorization from the doctor with detailed directions. My son is a Freshman in high school and the doctor had to state he could carry his inhaler with him during school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'm the school nurse (we homeschool). If my kids were in traditional schools, I would take comfort in knowing they are not receiving anything from anyone other than myself. If my child isn't feeling well, then it's time for me to come get them and take them home anyhow.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• we had to sign a note at the beginniing of the year saying if it was ok, but they just changed it and we now have to supply the medicine.
    jenn4443

Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2011