How do I convince my child there is no ghosts in the house?

She is terrified of it since yesterday when a kid at school told her ghosts would come and get her. She is only 5..what can I do to help ease her fears?

lilymama03

Asked by lilymama03 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you have any sort of pet? If you do, you can say your pet (even if it's just a gerbil or something) protects the house, and the monsters and ghosts are afraid of it.
    My son is convinced there are monsters so I simply told him there are monsters out there, but they're afraid of the cats, the ferrets, and the dog, and won't come in the house, so we're safe. He asked why, and I told him it was because our pets love us so much that they'll bite the monsters until they're gone, and ghosts aren't see through or anything like that for cats, so the cats can scratch them and bite them until they leave.
    Worked like a charm.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 11:40 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• ghost spray. A little water in a spray bottle and go spraying the house. I haven't had to do this yet, but I've heard it works.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 8:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• We actually use some Febreeze(since their bedroom stinks from the dirty diaper pail at times) and I spray their closet and call it our "Anti-monster" spray!! I also let them know Jesus is here=so no bad guys allowed!! Monsters are not allowed on our property!! The Dogs would get them as well! hehe!!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Tell her there are no ghosts because the Boogie Man ate them. Ha-ha!

The spray is a good idea.
    Anonymous

• The spray is a great idea. But you can't convince her that monsters don't exist. How do explain Jesus or God but then say Monsters are not real. You haven't really seen either...so kids that age are very concrete. If one is real then other concept is equally real. But comming up with creative ways to ward off creatures may be nice. Or making them friendly instead of mean. You could get a newspaper and show her an "article" in it that says all the Monsters moved to Mexico because they like the climate better. Have a picture of friendly monsters sunbathing or touring an ancient native temple with bermudas and a camera on. Then there is the protection enchantment ritual to preform once a week....whatever works. Just think outside the box.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Well, does she know about angels? Perhaps having an angel would help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I'd walk around and pray with her and use "holy water". I get mine from the tap and keep it in a cool bottle that had expensive olive oil in it :) Tell her Jesus is bigger than ghosts and he keeps her safe. You can read her the 121 psalm and explain that he never sleeps so she can :) Good luck!!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:14 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Yeah, go ahead and spray for ghosts. You can even bless your house together to keep it safe. Tell her that ghosts can't harm her. And that's a fact. Even is she THINKS she sees a ghost, she can tell it to go away. Also, if you believe in Jesus (or any deity), tell her to ask for protection. And she'll be fine!!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:54 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I tell my kids they don't exist. I explain the various noises the house makes (wind outside, expanding beams, Dad and I walking around, clanking from the air ducts), but tell her that just because she doesn't know what makes a noise, this doesn't mean it is a ghost. Also, talk about that kid at school: her parents must not have helped her understand the way you are helping your daughter. 5 is not too young for the truth: my 5 year-old does just fine with it!
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 10:29 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• We had a child that was convinced of monsters under the bed--We wrapped a can of Room Freshner, labeled it---MONSTER SPRAY---It worked--
    Maybe there are spirits? If so, The spay probably won't work---
    LOL
    isles

Answer by isles at 10:56 AM on Nov. 26, 2008